Bendtner - is he Thierry Henry or Lenny Henry??

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jumpers For Goalposts

Bendtner - is he Thierry Henry or Lenny Henry??

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Nicklas Bendtner is a player that divides opinion amongst Gooners. Some think he's easily good enough, many think he's nowhere near good enough. One person (Nicklas himself!!) thinks he's brilliant and probably better than Thierry Henry in his prime.

But for me - I just can't work out what he brings, given that he is on such a big contract and that money could be used elsewhere. Surely Bender's role in the squad is as a striker, or a target man using his size and strength to cause confusion in the penalty area.

So why does he always seem to drift off to the wing or drop off into midfield and try to pretend he's Dennis Bergkamp?? He offers virtually nothing like this so does he really believe that's his best role or does Arsene tell him to play that way??

I could feel the disappointment last night when Bender came on because we were chasing a goal and he never looked like offering any kind of threat and that seems to be the norm with him. Any balls that were played into the box found only space because Bender was 30 yards away admiring the last pass he'd made.

What do other Gooners think?

Post by 1989 »

It's not his fault silly Wenger plays him on the left wing, ffs!

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Definitely Lenny Henry. Both are presumably some sort of joke, but I cant see the funny side in either.

He also has the touch of Lennie from Of Mice & Men.

Yesterday looked like a definite case of him being asked to play out on the left though, rather than him drifting out there Thierry-style. That was all Wenger.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Yes the self-styled world's greatest striker certainley divides opinion.Some say he's shite some say he's fucking useless :lol: :lol:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

More like Paul Henry - Aka Benny from Crossroads..

jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Neither!

EGO :roll: :roll:

FREUD's theory was that it was our mask to face the world but he believed that at base we were something rather nasty.
Bit unfair that analogy (for Bendtner) - i think

Socially we use ego to mean someone who prizes themselves rather too much for the liking of their peers - You might have heard the phrase 'ego on legs' (he's certainly that! IMO)

Nah - yet when he's come onto the pitch without his head held up in the clouds (on the rare occasion) - he's actually done OK

Thus, as said before the man has set his thoughts of his ability far too high .... an unattainable target/s for him to achieve. If he drops the attitude he may do well

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

franksav63 wrote:More like Paul Henry - Aka Benny from Crossroads..
Or Henry Paul. A car crash waiting to happen. :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

He's a reasonable championship level striker/target man. No more. No less. He does have some use as a sub IF he is put into the box and we actually cross the ball into him, because he will work in there and he isn't afraid of big reps or thugs and unlike RVP he isn't afraid to head the ball. He misses too many easy chances though and his first touch/finishing are poor most of the time. His ability is no where near his level of self belief, unfortunately.

Ultimately he is not up to PL level and will drift off down through the clubs/leagues over the next 5 years or so. Just another Wenger "also-ran" that wasn't up to the top level. Football is full of them.

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

jaybee wrote:Neither!

FREUD's theory was that it was our mask to face the world but he believed that at base we were something rather nasty.
Freud? In a Bendtner thread? :lol: Besides, Freud was bonkers.

Mmmmm... mummy! :-P :oops:

cusamano

Re: Bendtner - is he Thierry Henry or Lenny Henry??

Post by cusamano »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:One person (Nicklas himself!!) thinks he's brilliant and probably better than Thierry Henry in his prime.
:coffeespit:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
jaybee wrote:Neither!

Freud? In a Bendtner thread? :lol: Besides, Freud was bonkers.

Mmmmm... mummy! :-P :oops:
And he was obsessed with fucking his own mother. The weirdo arsehole. :lol: :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Bendtner is more Lenny than Thierry..... FACT 8)

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

This 'drifting' of to the wing is AW or one of the coaches doing.

It's not just limited to Bentdner but RVP was doing it last night to be fair.
When Theo get the ball wide and drives forward RVP moves to Theo's Right wing (doubling up) so that Theo (or whoever else it may be) drives into the gap now left in the middle.

We also remember TH14 was great at being ready to counter on the wing. This is something slightly different though.

Problem is Nick such a big cumbersome fucker that we notice how awkward he looks more.
I think it's one thing of players like RVP, TH14 & Chamack etc doing it but Billy Bentdner!?! :roll: Still it's not his fualt his told to do it, that and playing on the wing!!! :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

I think comparing bendtner to lenny henry is harsh.......on lenny :wink: :lol:

I watched the game in a pub last night with a few scouse and red manc fans and I said to them when he came on as a sub that he is absolutely shit in the air so it was no big shock that of the 6 high balls that came his way he won precisely none of them :roll: For a big guy he is absolutely woeful in the air but for some reason people must remember the headed goal v the scum when they talk about his aerial prowess cos I have seen nothing else to suggest that he would even be effective as a target man. As for wenger playing him on the wing :roll: :banghead:

RoscommonGooner

Post by RoscommonGooner »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:Definitely Lenny Henry. Both are presumably some sort of joke, but I cant see the funny side in either.

He also has the touch of Lennie from Of Mice & Men.

Yesterday looked like a definite case of him being asked to play out on the left though, rather than him drifting out there Thierry-style. That was all Wenger.
:lol: :lol:

Brilliant