Samba

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Metalheadz Gooner

Samba

Post by Metalheadz Gooner »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1LniNlS00

Why couldn't we just sign the big bastard!!!!

He would of relished that game today.

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveO 35

Re: Samba

Post by SteveO 35 »

Metalheadz Gooner wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1LniNlS00

Why couldn't we just sign the big bastard!!!!He would of relished that game today.
That's easy to answer - just go to Arsenal.com

1. The answer is not always to buy
2. We have "internal options" in that position
3. TV5 is like a 'new signing'
4. Crazy prices being quoted; that is not sustainable
5. We were very close this year
6. We don't want to kill Miquel

Any other answers required, please send your questions to Mr. A. Knows (fuck all about how to defend)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

We wouldn't stump up the extra 25 quid that Blackburn were asking.

Hill Wood has already got a pernanent hard on thinking about the 35 million we're going to get for Cesc.

Arsenal FC = Small Time :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

More reasons/excuses not to buy him -

1. not good enough technically

2. not the right nationality

For what it is worth I still dont think he is the answer (nor do I believe cahill is the answer) but he does have the right attitude and he would be an improvement on every defender we currently have (except tv5 who I am reserving judgement on for now). I have always maintained that every if we cannot sign the elite players we should still be looking to upgrade every position at all times so I suppose in that regard signing him would make sense.

May I just add though that as the guy clearly has a winner's attitude I dont think he would be slow in letting fly at some of his team-mates and maybe even standing up to wenger and either of those would prohibit wenger from ever signing him :roll:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

augie

Thats the problem we shouldnt be looking for a technically gifted CB.Were TA Bouldy or Sol technically gifted? Are Vidic and Terry?What we need is someone who can head the ball away and kick the ball into row z.Someone who can organise a defence.We need a brick shithouse whose only job is to defend.

I would go for Hangerland myself.Some say he's slow but Terry is no sprinter

augie

Post by augie »

donaldo wrote: augie

Thats the problem we shouldnt be looking for a technically gifted CB.Were TA Bouldy or Sol technically gifted? Are Vidic and Terry?What we need is someone who can head the ball away and kick the ball into row z.Someone who can organise a defence.We need a brick shithouse whose only job is to defend.

I would go for Hangerland myself.Some say he's slow but Terry is no sprinter

I'm not disagreeing with you at all mate but am just saying that is a reason why wenger wont buy him or any player like him :(

Personally I would sign mertesacker......he is a big powerful commanding player who I would hope has the german "thou shalt not pass" winning mentality. Again some have suggested that he has a lack of pace but we have enough pace in the rest of our backline and centre backs in particular are all about balance.....1 to do the slogging and 1 to mop up the loose balls. Another reason why I would opt to sign him above the players mentioned is that I feel we need to make a marquis signing to instill a bit of confidence about the club again and maybe shake off this selling club image and this guy, an established german international, would meet those requirements and doesnt seem to be over-priced either 8)

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

Arsenal are finished as any kind of force now..The same once happened to AJAX and they havent come back..We are NO better than that team as of now imo

OnlyGotOneSong

Post by OnlyGotOneSong »

We could sign any of Chiellini, Pique, Puyol or Vidic and we'd still concede from set pieces and long balls into the box. The problem runs much deeper than one player. The team, not just the defenders, need to be taught how to defend properly and as a team.

(Do we even have a defencive coach? If we do, get rid of him, he's clearly not doing his job.)

Get Bouldy involved with the first team and bring in Keown to teach our defenders how to defend properly. It's not just set pieces and long balls that catch us out, it's our positioning as a defensive unit. It seems as if our back 4 aren't even playing as a team but 4 individuals. When our players start covering for each other and putting their bodies on the line, we'll know that we've turned a corner. Sagna has been our only defender this season that will throw himself at a shot to block it.

After the back 4 has been sorted, Song needs to just sit and anchor the midfield. I dont know why AW doesn't just tell him to sit back and not cross the half-way line. When one of your fullbacks runs on, Song can then drop back into the vacant position and we aren't left short at the back. If Song isn't good enough, buy someone else.

If we did buy Samba, it'd certainly be a start. He's willing to put his body on the line to keep a clean sheet and he's not one to let his man get away from him in the box. With Vermaelen, I think we could have a decent CB pairing for next season.

(I read yesterday that no team has won the Premier League without an English CB. Not saying that an English CB is the answer but its a strange statistic.)

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I would love someone like Samba at Arsenal. He isn't afriad of sticking his head where it hurts.

Metalheadz Gooner

Post by Metalheadz Gooner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:I would love someone like Samba at Arsenal. He isn't afriad of sticking his head where it hurts.
I watched him in the West Ham game on Saturday and he was immense. Won't be bullied, doesn't cate about his body & fight for his team. 3 traits you can't really associate with Arsenal at the moment.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

augie

Post by augie »

I'm sorry but the guy signed a new contract if feb and is now looking at leaving his club less than 3 months later ? :shock: Fcuk that for a game of soldiers cos another mercenary *word censored* is the last thing we need right now :x

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:I would love someone like Samba at Arsenal. He isn't afriad of sticking his head where it hurts.
I've heard the same said about jaykingson!! :oops: :lol: :lol: :wink: