IF YOU REPLACED WENGER

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
greengooner

IF YOU REPLACED WENGER

Post by greengooner »

on monday morning where would you start?. What would you do to sort out a stale squad and the culture of Wenger, overpaid players of really poor quality jamming the squad to the gills, long term contracts, sky high wages..............its a f**king mess.
sensible posts guys, loading them into a bus and driving it off the nearest pier while attractive is not an option thats realistic, so away you go.....welcome to the hotseat.
ps : to give you a chance we will reset the clock, its now the start of the transfer window not the end, i doubt you want to sit on your hands until the summer unlike the genius in charge has so far
Who can you sell?
who the f**k would want them?
who do you try to replace them with?
what do you do with the dross you are stuck with?
who do replace coneman with?

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

First things first I would bring a bit of discipline in, no more turning up at games in a tracksuit and headphones, respect your position at the club, respect your role.

Secondly I would watch the last few games and introduce more training ironing out errors.

Thirdly I would assess the attitude, anyone coasting would train with the reserves.

Finally I would send all those not in the first 11 to play in the reserves, create a bit of desire as no one would want to play there so will up their game.

Our problem is not the talent, its the cosy mentality they have, this is their job not their calling, a hard arse manager would turn this pathetic bunch into contenders in no time.

_James_

Post by _James_ »

It would be good if the reserve league fixtures were not so close to the first team games. E.g. midweek this would let anyone who didn't play at the weekend to get a match midweek, but at the moment they seem to play on the wrong days.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

We had this type of question only four days ago...

http://www.onlinegooner.com/phpbb2/view ... hp?t=33910

Plenty of answers on there if you are really interested.

augie

Post by augie »

So many questions......I take it you are as bored as I am this sat night ? :lol:

There is a load of things that I would implement straight away and I dont see why waiting until the summer is any type of an option - personally I believe the loading of those players onto a bus and driving it off a cliff makes most sense as I am damn sure they will be insured as per wengers value on them (way over their actual worth :roll: ) so we would make money out of it 8)

It goes without saying that wenger would be relived of his duties with haste and bouldie would be installed as caretaker manager but with the knowledge that it would only be a short term gig. I would then set about hiring a manager that would command the respect of the players, would have a good knowledge of tactics,would instill discipline and passion into his players and be absolutely capable of kicking some arses when needed. Potential names would include rijkard,moyes and van basten to name just 3.
They and they alone would select their assistant manager - if it is an ex Gooner then so much the better but when going for a radical overhaul it is vital that all personnel are pulling in the one direction so a strong managerial partnership is a must.

Time to face facts........we have so many average players on big bucks that are not good enough and will not help us progress. They know that they will never get the same wages elsewhere so they dont want to move so we need to accept that we will have to suffer a financial hit here - we should be either offering to pay the difference in their weekly wage at whatever new club would pay them or we should offer them a once off lump sum pay off. Yes I know that we would be paying money every week for players no longer at the club but I would rather be paying 20k a week to diaby or bendtner while they play elsewhere than waste 60k a week taking up a space in our club.

For now I would hit the transfer system hard and would def explore the possibility of bringing in some quality on loan for the next 5 months or so if necessary - I wouldnt care one iota if a player like kaka (and am only using him as an example) is cup tied for champs league cos getting into next season should be prioritised over extending this seasons cup run. I would be aggresive in my persuit of potential targets and unsettle them through the media if necessary :oops: Spending big bucks for spending sake will not be my mindset but I do believe that there are players out there that will improve us and at an affordable level.

Finally, to back up what gunnersauras has said, I would bring in all players to a team meeting and inform them in no uncertain terms what will be expected off them whilst they are employed by the club - club suits mandatory,no more parading around in headphones and such like and most importantly I would impress on them what it means to be a player for this club and that nothing less than 100% passion and commitment will be tolerated

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

augie wrote:So many questions......I take it you are as bored as I am this sat night ? :lol:

There is a load of things that I would implement straight away and I dont see why waiting until the summer is any type of an option - personally I believe the loading of those players onto a bus and driving it off a cliff makes most sense as I am damn sure they will be insured as per wengers value on them (way over their actual worth :roll: ) so we would make money out of it 8)

It goes without saying that wenger would be relived of his duties with haste and bouldie would be installed as caretaker manager but with the knowledge that it would only be a short term gig. I would then set about hiring a manager that would command the respect of the players, would have a good knowledge of tactics,would instill discipline and passion into his players and be absolutely capable of kicking some arses when needed. Potential names would include rijkard,moyes and van basten to name just 3.
They and they alone would select their assistant manager - if it is an ex Gooner then so much the better but when going for a radical overhaul it is vital that all personnel are pulling in the one direction so a strong managerial partnership is a must.

Time to face facts........we have so many average players on big bucks that are not good enough and will not help us progress. They know that they will never get the same wages elsewhere so they dont want to move so we need to accept that we will have to suffer a financial hit here - we should be either offering to pay the difference in their weekly wage at whatever new club would pay them or we should offer them a once off lump sum pay off. Yes I know that we would be paying money every week for players no longer at the club but I would rather be paying 20k a week to diaby or bendtner while they play elsewhere than waste 60k a week taking up a space in our club.

For now I would hit the transfer system hard and would def explore the possibility of bringing in some quality on loan for the next 5 months or so if necessary - I wouldnt care one iota if a player like kaka (and am only using him as an example) is cup tied for champs league cos getting into next season should be prioritised over extending this seasons cup run. I would be aggresive in my persuit of potential targets and unsettle them through the media if necessary :oops: Spending big bucks for spending sake will not be my mindset but I do believe that there are players out there that will improve us and at an affordable level.

Finally, to back up what gunnersauras has said, I would bring in all players to a team meeting and inform them in no uncertain terms what will be expected off them whilst they are employed by the club - club suits mandatory,no more parading around in headphones and such like and most importantly I would impress on them what it means to be a player for this club and that nothing less than 100% passion and commitment will be tolerated

say what you want about george but when you played for Arsenal under him you knew what it meant
"never forget who you are and who you represent" i would love to have a tough bastard like him sort out this squad of wasters

nexum5me

Post by nexum5me »

i'd put my feet up on my desk, light a big fat cigar, and think about all the lovely money i'd now be earning!

the 2nd thing i'd do is pick myself up front for every game until i was sacked, if i'm living the dream i'm doing it properly, fuck you lot :lol: :lol: 8) :oops:

RocastleRock

Post by RocastleRock »

nexum5me wrote:i'd put my feet up on my desk, light a big fat cigar, and think about all the lovely money i'd now be earning!

the 2nd thing i'd do is pick myself up front for every game until i was sacked, if i'm living the dream i'm doing it properly, fuck you lot :lol: :lol: 8) :oops:
I like it! I'm crap at football but I'd play for The arsenal if they asked me too.

I'm pretty sure that is the attitude of some of our current squad too, so you can't give them too much grief, it's not there fault they keep getting picked.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

nexum5me wrote:i'd put my feet up on my desk, light a big fat cigar, and think about all the lovely money i'd now be earning!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

With that salary i would wander around all the best shops for days on end looking for something special. Then return back home after not spending a penny and moaning to the mrs about the lack of value nowadays.