Would you change your mind?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SpanishJoe

Would you change your mind?

Post by SpanishJoe »

Some of yesterday's Villa match posts got me thinking that some people (many of us?) form a view of a player and then refuse to change their opinion, even if that player performs well over a series of games.

We know that people see what they expect to see, but I think many people are too set in their opinions. I'm thinking particularly of Rosicky who, despite his poor form over recent years has, imo, done really well this year.

I'm willing to admit that I thought Kos was weak, but he's now performing well, and I thought Arteta was terrible until AW dropped him a bit deeper and he looks a class act now.
I still have a downer on Song, but even he's being a bit better (but still too error prone).
At the other end of the scale I've supported Theo for too long. If anything he's getting worse.

Who have you changed your mind about?
And if you've a real downer on a player, hat would they have to do to change your mind?

augie

Post by augie »

I think the case of kos is an example that most fans are willing to adapt their viewpoint if the evidence in front of them suggests that there were initially wrong in their judgement.

That being said I have the opposite position on this issue than you......people changing their opinions too fcuking cheaply :roll: I sat in the pub after the Gooner FC v the mackems fans game and there wasnt one fan at the table that believed that wenger was the man to turn this around but yet a few easy fixtures later and one guy who totally changed his standing and was pro wenger :roll: That to me is a shocking indictment of fans who can only see as far as results and not delve any deeper into squad management, tactics and general financial management :oops: Even the Highbury Spy in the recent issue of The Gooner was gushing in his praise of wenger which baffled the shit out of me as he has been a wenger critic for a long time now :shock: :shock:

Pirestzel

Post by Pirestzel »

You got no chance on here of anybody admiting they were wrong. You would most likely find they will hold their silence untill a few years down the line when they get s*it and they can say . . . ."I always said he was crap"

augie

Post by augie »

Pirestzel wrote:You got no chance on here of anybody admiting they were wrong. You would most likely find they will hold their silence untill a few years down the line when they get s*it and they can say . . . ."I always said he was crap"

And with the exception of kos, who I have already said that most have since changed their opinions on, what other example could you possibly use ? Fact is that it is a bullshit sweeping statement that you have made based on sweet fcuk all evidence :roll:

Pirestzel

Post by Pirestzel »

augie wrote:
Pirestzel wrote:You got no chance on here of anybody admiting they were wrong. You would most likely find they will hold their silence untill a few years down the line when they get s*it and they can say . . . ."I always said he was crap"

And with the exception of kos, who I have already said that most have since changed their opinions on, what other example could you possibly use ? Fact is that it is a bullshit sweeping statement that you have made based on sweet fcuk all evidence :roll:
Don't take it to heart sport, I shouldve said 90%, based on the threads that are 20+pages long naming and shaming players who are sh*t and don't deserve to wear the shirt etc. I give you credit :barscarf:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

People can change their minds.

I was anti-Van Persie three years ago, I saw him as an arrogant individual who caused poor morale in the squad, and while he had talent, was too busy overplaying the ball and slowing down moves.

There were posts on here asking me to "Lay off Van Persie!".

He now has matured as a person, and found his niche as an out and out goalscorer.

I was pro-Wenger in the 2007 - 2008 season, but from the summer of 2008, successive failures to buy crucial players, mixed with successive poor defending, have slowly but steadily eroded my support for him.

I am now open to us appointing a new manager in the summer.

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

at first, it took me some time to realise what was so special about fabregas :oops: :oops: now i say the same about ramsey, so perhaps it's a good sign :lol:

armchair

Post by armchair »

I've changed my mind about Arseshavin.
When he first signed I thought he was the dogs
Then I thought he was crap
Then I thought he was shit
Now it isn't even funny :x

Thought Chamack looked tasty too. :oops:

REB

Post by REB »

i have always been pro kos and rosicky and will always be anti song ,diaby, walcott etc

as for arshavin :banghead:

SpanishJoe

Post by SpanishJoe »

Rebel, were you pro-Kos all through last season or was there a point when he won your affection?

REB

Post by REB »

SpanishJoe wrote:Rebel, were you pro-Kos all through last season or was there a point when he won your affection?
was always pro kos. had many an arguement with people , just ask franksav :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote: That being said I have the opposite position on this issue than you......people changing their opinions too fcuking cheaply
Well those people tend to have the mental age of a 6 year old or think that the club was created in 1996

The people I have a problem with is those that are so stubborn they can't admit that one of their little favourites has had a poor game (not mentioning any names MM99) or vice versa when someone they vilify has a good game

Personally I find Walcott the most infuriating player in the first team, but when he's turned it on, as he did in spells yesterday, I'll always hold my hands up and admit it.

Arshavin works the other way - like many I thought the little guy was a bloody hero and a breath of fresh air when he joined and I still maintain if we hadn't signed him that January we'd have finished outside the top 4. But you have to tell it how it is and he's been awful for well over a year now

Manuel Almunia has made countless mistakes, but what I can't understand is when people dismiss the decent performances he did make, like up at OT in the CL semi 1st leg when he saved us from a 5-0 mauling or worse. Yep, he was shit away to West Brom and on several occasions but people can't bring themselves to admit the guy had some good games

The same can be said about a certain twinkle-toed midfielder of course :D

LeoGooner

Post by LeoGooner »

I don't get this Rosicky playing well stuff. Yeah, he's a trier and plays short passes and will tackle back, but thats about it. i don't recall a killer pass (or a goal!). he doesn't deliver threatening setpieces and his shooting is frankly embarrassing. bottom line is he doesn't influence matches. is this a measure of how far expectations have dropped that some think he's doing well? :?:

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

TBF Leo I thought Rosicky was good yesterday. Looked sharp and up for it.

Ramsey and Song on the other hand have both been woeful over recent weeks/months... :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Abou's nearly back to full recovery, and I know this thread will be about 30 pages full of apologies when the Great Man powers us to 4th :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: