The Gooner - Issue 224

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Mike1
Site Admin

The Gooner - Issue 224

Post by Mike1 »

Blatant self-promotion time.

The latest issue of The Gooner was published this weekend and is now available to purchase by mail order from our online store, priced at £2 plus postage... http://www.onlinegooner.com/shop/catalo ... cts_id=285

It’s been great to see the spirit shown by the players during the recent run of games which is encapsulated by our front cover photo of Theo Walcott’s goal celebration during the 5-2 win over Spurs.

The comeback from 2-0 down in that game perhaps marked a turning point in the club’s fortunes, which is a topic Mark Halfpenny writes about inside the issue as he highlights the significance of the result given where a bad result might have led us.

Howard Lamb reveals that he had to watch the match twice when he got home for it to sink in and writes about a number of other occasions in his Arsenal supporting life when you sometimes need to be convinced that what you’ve just witnessed has really happened.

There’s also articles on talented players from our past who have wasted their skill, memories of White Hart Lane, a review of Arsenal podcasts and an interview with the most prolific Arsenal tweeter around who goes by the name of LadyArse.

Plus much more and, of course, many of the regulars – Talking Reds, Mickey Cannon, Highbury Spy, North Bank Times, Anger Management, In the Away End and a return for Dwight Hart-Lane, who many readers spotted on the big screen at the Grove recently.

This issue will be on sale around the ground at the forthcoming home matches with Manchester City and Wigan.

And if you didn't already know, The Gooner is also now available in digital form either through The Gooner App for iPhones and iPads (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-goon ... 53223?mt=8), the Exactly App for Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... droidpaper), or your internet browser at http://www.exacteditions.com.

REB

Re: The Gooner - Issue 224

Post by REB »

an ad for the gooner :D

cant comment as royal mail are very slow when it comes to getting my copy here to ireland before thur :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

REB wrote:an ad for the gooner :D

cant comment as royal mail are very slow when it comes to getting my copy here to ireland before thur :wink:

Got mine this morning 8) :lol:

stg

Post by stg »

you would of thought they would of sent it DHL, Ive seen adverts somewhere saying they are good a deliverys

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

DBrien's articles on what the opposition fans on their own forums are saying about our game against them and the Arsenal team in particular is always a good fun read and this month's coverage of the Spurs match is even more so. Special mention for his hilarious and brilliant 'Thai' joke at the start of the article, which had me crying with laughter for a good few minutes!! :lol: :wink:

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

The article on memories of WHL was very entertaining :lol:

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

stg wrote:

you would of thought they would of sent it DHL, Ive seen adverts somewhere saying they are good a deliverys
I just saw DHL and thought, why on earth would we use Dwight Hart-Lane? :?

dbrien

Post by dbrien »

I Hate Hleb wrote:DBrien's articles on what the opposition fans on their own forums are saying about our game against them and the Arsenal team in particular is always a good fun read and this month's coverage of the Spurs match is even more so. Special mention for his hilarious and brilliant 'Thai' joke at the start of the article, which had me crying with laughter for a good few minutes!! :lol: :wink:
thank you kindly although i cant take credit for the Thai joke, I've heard it a few times.

REB

Post by REB »

augie wrote:

Got mine this morning 8) :lol:

mine just arrived, do like the back cover :D

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

i get mine about 2 or 3 weeks after it's released, which means that usually when the fanzine is all doom and gloom, i only receive it after 3 or 4 straight wins, or vice-versa - when i get this edition we'll probably be 8th in the table again :lol: :lol: :lol:

REB

Post by REB »

augie got in the letters page having a moan :D

augie

Post by augie »

REB wrote:augie got in the letters page having a moan :D

Havent got that far yet - couldnt be me anyway as I am now an akb and full of confidence and proclaiming that song, walnut and diaby will lead us to trophies again next season :barscarf: :wink: :lol:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

There's a lovely WAG on page 11. Mrs Rosicky. Ten out of ten for yummyness. :D

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

I thought it was a very good issue, balanced and interesting to read, with one exception.

The chap (Damian Hall?) who responded to the letters. Now, I don't mind people who make their opinions clear, but if anyone disagreed with his (absurdly positive in my opinion, totally correct in that of others) worldview, he just mocked them, or responded with a barely coherent non-sequitur. By all means, have a positive, pro-Wenger contributor respond to the letters page, as it wouldn't be fair to just have negative ones, but at least make it one who responds to opposing letters with thoughtful counter-arguments??

Rant over :wink:

REB

Post by REB »

SWLGooner wrote:I thought it was a very good issue, balanced and interesting to read, with one exception.

The chap (Damian Hall?) who responded to the letters. Now, I don't mind people who make their opinions clear, but if anyone disagreed with his (absurdly positive in my opinion, totally correct in that of others) worldview, he just mocked them, or responded with a barely coherent non-sequitur. By all means, have a positive, pro-Wenger contributor respond to the letters page, as it wouldn't be fair to just have negative ones, but at least make it one who responds to opposing letters with thoughtful counter-arguments??

Rant over :wink:

same here, didnt like his comments, overall a good read and good to see the spy back and dbriens away end should have been at least two pages as it was the best read ive had in ages :lol: :lol: