FFP

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
swimmer1

FFP

Post by swimmer1 »

Please lock if there is a thread already just noticed Chelski have made a profit for the first time since 2003 although they have spent millions so I think Arsenal idea of being ahead of the FFP league table is a load of bollocks .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20270934

northbank123

Re: FFP

Post by northbank123 »

Disclaimer: FFP is bollocks and will make fuck all difference.

That said their accounts will be drawn up to the end of June and therefore not include this season's transfers which stand at about £70m net outlay. If they spend about £30m net and win the CL every year they might just about break even for FFP.

Expect them to be back in loss next year. Expect it to make fuck all difference as you're allowed to make significant losses over a 3-year period still. Expect them to get a slap on the wrist if they do fail FFP as UEFA point to their 'sliding scale' model for sanctions.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Clubs will always find a way round the rules with creative accounting anything is possible that coupled with UEFA not wanting to dilute their shit champions league anymore by excluding city, the chavs, real madrid etc etc etc and forcing them to make a break away super league...... All in all IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN and anyone pinning their hopes on our re-emergence as a force due to this is as deluded as Wenger

burns718

Post by burns718 »

northbank123 wrote:Disclaimer: FFP is bollocks and will make fuck all difference.

That said their accounts will be drawn up to the end of June and therefore not include this season's transfers which stand at about £70m net outlay. If they spend about £30m net and win the CL every year they might just about break even for FFP.

Expect them to be back in loss next year. Expect it to make fuck all difference as you're allowed to make significant losses over a 3-year period still. Expect them to get a slap on the wrist if they do fail FFP as UEFA point to their 'sliding scale' model for sanctions.
will they not just do what citeh have and get the chairmains company to sponsor the stadium for 6 billion pounds a month?

Deise Gooner

Post by Deise Gooner »

burns718 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Disclaimer: FFP is bollocks and will make fuck all difference.

will they not just do what citeh have and get the chairmains company to sponsor the stadium for 6 billion pounds a month?
As Flash said it doesnt matter, its all pie in the sky nonsense that will never be enforced. Madrid, Barca, Citeh and the Chavs to name a few missing from the CL every year waters down the product and UEFA wont let that happen.

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

According to transfermarkt they spent 90m last season on players and brought in just 30m. I dont see where the profit on transfers is.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

...and Man City selling the naming rights of their stadium to their owners for £500m?? :banghead:

MK Gould

Financial Fair Play....farce

Post by MK Gould »

Please delete or lock this thread. I hadn't noticed the FFP one earlier.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

The thing that struck me was the comment that "....debt of some £166.6m was turned into equity during the course of the year making Chelsea FC plc debt free". If FFP has any teeth whatsoever then surely this has to be challenged in the same way as Citeh's stadium sponsorship (was that ever challenged I wonder....?).

We've been hampered over the last few years paying off the stadium debt. By converting the Chelsea debt into equity rather than having to service it as an expense isn't this surely the equivalent of Abramovitch paying it off himself.....????

augie

Re: Financial Fair Play....farce

Post by augie »

MK Gould wrote:I see that Chelsea have announced a profit this year, for the first time in 9 years..... Good timing that!

But the thing that struck me was the comment that "....debt of some £166.6m was turned into equity during the course of the year making Chelsea FC plc debt free". If FFP has any teeth whatsoever then surely this has to be challenged in the same way as Citeh's stadium sponsorship (was that ever challenged I wonder....?).

We've been hampered over the last few years paying off the stadium debt. By converting the Chelsea debt into equity rather than having to service it as an expense isn't this surely the equivalent of Abramovitch paying it off himself.....????

Challenge on what basis ? :? There is going to be many ways around this ffp bullshit and I have argued this for a long time now :roll: What right has uefa to challenge citeeh on how much they receive in stadium sponsorship ? Ditto for chavski's debt equity ? The impending FFP is just the "mythical pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" bullshit that the club has being throwing at us for a few years now so that kroenke can hoard cash to make the accounts look better when he sell's up down the line :roll: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

augie wrote:Challenge on what basis ? :? There is going to be many ways around this ffp bullshit and I have argued this for a long time now :roll: What right has uefa to challenge citeeh on how much they receive in stadium sponsorship ? Ditto for chavski's debt equity ? The impending FFP is just the "mythical pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" bullshit that the club has being throwing at us for a few years now so that kroenke can hoard cash to make the accounts look better when he sell's up down the line :roll: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
There was always a big danger that it wasn't going to be worth the paper it was written on, but I guess I thought that clubs would at least have to be subtle..... Citeh and Chelsea are just driving a cart and horses through the "rules"!

SteveO 35

Re: Financial Fair Play....farce

Post by SteveO 35 »

Hooray - people have caught on to what I've been saying for years. Arsenal have more debt than Chelsea.

Man City will convert all their debt to equity too.

And guess what - under Usmanov we'd do the same

Still why let the truth get in the way

Financial Fair Play won't work and as far as I'm concerned is illegal to implement anyway

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

FFP if it ever does come into play will be so watered down that it will pass easy to work round. If the board honestly think it will come to Arsenal's saviour then they are stupider than I imagined. To even committed to a course of action and base your policies around it for close to s decade without actually knowing what it is about, is tantamount to gross negligence.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Spot the connection between these random statements:
"Gazprom.....one of the lucrative new sponsorship deals that Chelsea have signed....."
".....Abramovich, sold his controlling stake in the oil company Sibneft to Gazprom for £8.4 billion in 2005"
"Gazprom.....official partner of the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Super Cup for the next three seasons"

The Guardian also refer to "Chelsea.....converted a further £166.6m of loans to equity, leaving its balance sheet debt free. That does not have a bearing on FFP calculations but provides a degree of reassurance that he won't leave the club burdened with debt". This is interesting as it suggests that the Financial Fair Play rules are less concerned with Financially "cheating" and more concerned with safeguarding.... For me this is a key difference and one that truly does blow the Arsenal argument out of the water :banghead: !!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

MK Gould wrote:Spot the connection between these random statements:
"Gazprom.....one of the lucrative new sponsorship deals that Chelsea have signed....."
".....Abramovich, sold his controlling stake in the oil company Sibneft to Gazprom for £8.4 billion in 2005"
"Gazprom.....official partner of the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Super Cup for the next three seasons"

The Guardian also refer to "Chelsea.....converted a further £166.6m of loans to equity, leaving its balance sheet debt free. That does not have a bearing on FFP calculations but provides a degree of reassurance that he won't leave the club burdened with debt". This is interesting as it suggests that the Financial Fair Play rules are less concerned with Financially "cheating" and more concerned with safeguarding.... For me this is a key difference and one that truly does blow the Arsenal argument out of the water :banghead: !!
Why is this even remotely surprising - Abramovich has been converting the debt to equity at the end of each financial year as a matter of course. There is no debt, and its been like that for ages and its the main reason why I've been saying ever since this stupid notion of regulation that it can not work. If Usmanov bought us it would work similarly. In fact he'd probably pay off the high interest rate debt and then convert any cash he injected to equity like Abramovich - so we'd be less indebted than now

Still - let Kroenke and Gazidis carry on kidding everyone their model works best. It doesn't and never has and Arsenal will realise what has been apparent to anyone with half a financial brain for years - this whole FFP thing is the biggest load of nonsense going. I guess what it does is offer 'hope value' to fans that are brainwashed into thinking in 2 years we will genuinely compete. In reality we'll be even further away