Anyone been to Lisbon? Advise needed.

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
northbankbren

Anyone been to Lisbon? Advise needed.

Post by northbankbren »

Gunna go to lisbon in may, gunna get a game in without doubt but anyone been and got any advise on the city, on staying 3 nights friday to monday but let me know what you can recommend.

Where is the best area to stay?

Must see?

Best Pub?

Gratefull for any advise or opinions.

Dan_85

Re: Anyone been to Lisbon? Advise needed.

Post by Dan_85 »

Beautiful city. Was there for a long weekend a few years back when we played that pre-season friendly against Benfica.

Lots of parks, history, architecture. Spend an afternoon down by the river, in the Cais Sodre area. A few bars & restaurants down there, watched the Charity Shield here, also some little beach kinda areas, people fishing etc.

Castelo Jorge is good too, walk up there & enjoy the views out over the city. Ride the trams, there's lots of greenery & also a zoo too i think.

The Baixa area has lots of shops, restaurants, tight little streets etc. You can take a ride on the Santa Justa Lift too.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

northbankbren wrote:Gunna go to lisbon in may, gunna get a game in without doubt but anyone been and got any advise on the city, on staying 3 nights friday to monday but let me know what you can recommend.

Where is the best area to stay?

Must see?

Best Pub?

Gratefull for any advise or opinions.
Welcome back Bren where've you been?

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

top city to go to :barscarf:

go to the "baixa" region, by far the best in town (sort of an old centre), many excellent places to eat seafood for around 10 bucks, nice little streets to walk around, and some moderate night life.

weed and hash are sold on the streets like crazy, if it's the sort of thing that annoys you keep it in mind. oh, and don't try the hash, it's shit :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

go to the "belem" region, and eat one of the famous belem's pastry (pastéis de belem), alongside a cold sagres or bock - it's one of the best things i've ever tasted, it's pretty famous too (they make it in that one place for well over a century):

great city, i spent a few days there last year and was positively surprised :barscarf: portuguese girls are quite hot for west european standards as well :lol: :wink:

nah i'm joking they're not :(

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Whilst you're there, can you ask what the phrase "obrigado vinho verde' means please? It stuck with me for years.
If you can, then get some of their local fire-water to bring home. It's bloody lovely. Paint stripper, so take it easy and don't drink water in the morning. You'll just get all drunk again. :?

brazilianGOONER

Top Londoner wrote:Whilst you're there, can you ask what the phrase "obrigado vinho verde' means please? It stuck with me for years.
"thank you green wine"

doesn't make much sense, does it?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

brazilianGOONER wrote:top city to go to :barscarf:

go to the "baixa" region, by far the best in town (sort of an old centre), many excellent places to eat seafood for around 10 bucks, nice little streets to walk around, and some moderate night life.

weed and hash are sold on the streets like crazy, if it's the sort of thing that annoys you keep it in mind. oh, and don't try the hash, it's shit :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

go to the "belem" region, and eat one of the famous belem's pastry (pastéis de belem), alongside a cold sagres or bock - it's one of the best things i've ever tasted, it's pretty famous too (they make it in that one place for well over a century):

great city, i spent a few days there last year and was positively surprised :barscarf: portuguese girls are quite hot for west european standards as well :lol: :wink:

nah i'm joking they're not :(
Love Portugal and must admit an ice cold 'Bock is very tasty. 8)

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
Top Londoner wrote:Whilst you're there, can you ask what the phrase "obrigado vinho verde' means please? It stuck with me for years.
"thank you green wine"

Cheers brazilian.
It's something that two Portuguese workers use to say to one another.
Never did get it though. :?

brazilianGOONER

Top Londoner wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
"thank you green wine"

Cheers brazilian.
It's something that two Portuguese workers use to say to one another.
Never did get it though. :?
this is vinho verde:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinho_Verde

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

flash gunner wrote:
Welcome back Bren where've you been?
Cheers mate, been very busy at work, been reading just not posting.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys!