Greatest Missed Penalties

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Mike1
Site Admin

Greatest Missed Penalties

Post by Mike1 »

In the new issue of The Gooner which is out this weekend and available from our online store, I've written an article about my favourite missed penalties, which it won't surprise you to learn are all against Arsenal. However, I'll let you in on a secret. I nearly missed out a really obvious one - the Van Nistelrooy penalty in the unbeaten season at Old Trafford. I know, I know. I'm lucky the omission was spotted in time otherwise I'd have had some serious stick.

Anyway, the other five I picked out were Graham Roberts at WHL in April 1985, Brian McClair in front of the North Bank in 1988 (there's a great picture of this one in the issue too), Lombardo in the CWC SF 1995, Riquelme in the Champions League SF in 2006 and Scholes in the FA Cup Final 2005.

What are your memories of those and any others I might have missed? Share them here and we'll try to print a selection of your comments in the next issue.

olgitgooner

Re: Greatest Missed Penalties

Post by olgitgooner »

:twisted: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

JT's missed pen in the CLfinal 08?

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

spendsum4uckingmoney wrote:JT's missed pen in the CLfinal 08?

And we have a winner

anyone who can be arsed to post JT's blubbing face after he misses would greatly appreciate it, as it always puts a smile on my face :twisted:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Pires second against Man City at Highbury 2006.
That pass to Titi.

Still cringeworthy.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

has to be riquelme, his slackjawed look before he took it, lehmann dives to save, I start shrieking :-P.

Funniest definetely ruud's, hillarious! wonderful, i don't care if he scored a penalty against us afterwards, after cheating in that game I wonder how he felt when he missed.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Riquelme was probably right up there as one of the most mental celebrations ever whilst watching football. I don't even think I celebrated as much as that when Sol scored in the final.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

For some reason I can only think of five missed penalties by The Arsenal;

1) Nigel Winterburn Littlewwods cup Final 1988, he scores we go 3-1 up,
2) Vermaelen vs Bradford 2012 Capital Cup,
3) All 3 in UEFA Cup Final 2000
4) RVP at OT 2012, would've put us ahead but ended up losing 8-2
5) Pires and Henry vs Man City.

Post by 1989 »

Nos89 wrote:For some reason I can only think of five missed penalties by The Arsenal;

1) Nigel Winterburn Littlewwods cup Final 1988, he scores we go 3-1 up,
2) Vermaelen vs Bradford 2012 Capital Cup,
3) All 3 in UEFA Cup Final 2000
4) RVP at OT 2012, would've put us ahead but ended up losing 8-2
5) Pires and Henry vs Man City.
Dennis against the mancs? Had he not missed there'd have been no treble for the *word censored*. :(

Herd

Post by Herd »

The Graham Roberts one @ WHL was ace Night game and and atmosphere of pure evil and hatred cascading down onto the pitch ,I'd hated Roberts from his double handed fingered salute at Highbury a few' years before when he was inciting the red sea pedestrians in the North Bank to get stuck in,the same day he put Charlie Nicholas into the boys stand .
Brian Mclairs was ace too and the Lombardo fiasco had us all going wild but the roberts one for me tops the bill !

chyren1

Post by chyren1 »

Top Londoner wrote:Pires second against Man City at Highbury 2006.
That pass to Titi.

Still cringeworthy.
First one that popped in my mind too :wink:

But OP
Clearly stated against the Arsenal :roll:

chyren1

Post by chyren1 »

topgoon wrote:
spendsum4uckingmoney wrote:JT's missed pen in the CLfinal 08?

And we have a winner

anyone who can be arsed to post JT's blubbing face after he misses would greatly appreciate it, as it always puts a smile on my face :twisted:
Here we go :wink:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Mike1 wrote:Anyway, the other five I picked out were Graham Roberts at WHL in April 1985, Brian McClair in front of the North Bank in 1988 (there's a great picture of this one in the issue too).
Those two for me to in terms of the celebrations that followed. Esp Graham Roberts at WHL....!

In terms of those missed by us....has to be Dennis at Villa Park against United. It wasn't just that it would have ended their treble before it began, but it also ended what was shaping up as a double for us!! I don't think anyone doubts that if we'd have won that game we'd have also gone on to win the title.

Other than that then I'd have to go back to the CWC Final in 1980.... Think it might have been Rix who missed, but that might be wrong and it may have been more than just him anyway. I just remember the mayhem that followed :box: !!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Not in the same bracket of importance but Robbie Keane at our place in December 07 (I think). They had actually outplayed us until that point, Berbatov had just equalised and this was when we were right in the mix for the title. Keane had a reputation as a great penalty-taker but our resident clown pulled off a great save and then the world's greatest striker went up the other end and scored with his first touch and we robbed a 2-1 win.

Worst penalty has to be DB10's in 99. Followed by Paul Bodin against Romania in 94 :censored:

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Herd wrote:The Graham Roberts one @ WHL was ace Night game and and atmosphere of pure evil and hatred cascading down onto the pitch ,I'd hated Roberts from his double handed fingered salute at Highbury a few' years before when he was inciting the red sea pedestrians in the North Bank to get stuck in,the same day he put Charlie Nicholas into the boys stand .
Brian Mclairs was ace too and the Lombardo fiasco had us all going wild but the roberts one for me tops the bill !

Couldn't have put it better myself. Remember those games like they were yesterday. Oh, how us and Spurs hated each other with a passion. When he put Charlie Nicholas in the Schoolboys enclosure, the whole ground went apeshit and wanted to rip his head off. Roberts was Keane, Sheringham and Ruddock rolled into one.
Makes the NLD look like church tea party now.