Coquelin/Frimpong/Yennaris and Youths, Angha/Crowley

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Arsenal Till I Die

Coquelin/Frimpong/Yennaris and Youths, Angha/Crowley

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Title says it all really.

We have three DM's who have a talent for defending....some more so than others. Personally, I think the three hold different attributes.

Coquelin - Creative play, good vision.

Frimpong - A tank, not scared to put a foot in (or two)

Yennaris - Intelligent player, good reader of the game. (based on what I've seen of him which is both little and also live at CC games at the Grove last season)

Personally, I would like to see both Coq and Yennaris develop into the first team very well. I don't see Frimpong developing his game much more than what it already is.

jrthgooner

Re: The Coquelin/Frimpong/Yennaris - Who Will Make It Thread

Post by jrthgooner »

I do not think that any of these are really regular starters at the level we should be trying to play at. Having said that I can only see Coquelin being given a real go as he is the most intelligent footballer of the lot

goonerwalker

Post by goonerwalker »

I think Coquelin could become a good DM in the future although I feel he somethimes lacks the physicality for the role, mainly due to his size. Frimpong has all the tools to become a good player but just needs to apply himself and cut the #DENCH crap :roll: :banghead: Hopefully the way he got overrun at Reading was a wake-up call for him. Yennaris looks like a solid squad player who can do a job in multiple positions but lacks the talent to challenge for a first XI place

markyp

Post by markyp »

i like frimpong,hes a steamroller when he gets going,coq is tidy but for me too lightweight for the premier league,another denilson im my eyes.lets wait and see though

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

Not seen too much of Yennaris. Coquelin and Frimpong both play well (aprat from v Reading)

silus

Post by silus »

Not seen much of Yennaris.

Hope Frimpong makes it but i'm not convinced tbh...looks like a sending off waiting to happen everytime he plays and distribution needs a lot of work.

Coquelin looks most likely to me...good engine, can tackle and distribution ok when kept simple.

Dont think any of them should really be in contention for starting places yet but coquelins versatility useful on the bench

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Of the three. Coquelin is most likely to make it atm.
Yennaris needs more time and Frimpong needs to wind his neck in before I get excited about his ability. No point running around like a headless chicken and kicking the opposition to pieces just to justify your love for the club, at least, not if you're a player anyway.
QuartzGooner has shown faith in Coquelin for sometime now. I can see why.

richpye

Post by richpye »

Saw Yennaris playing RB last season and thought he looked more promising than Jenkinson. Seems a bit slight for a central role for me. Saying that as I didn't even know his proper position, it shows how much I know.

Coquelin - Has a chance
Frimpong - Wish he had a chance...doesn't

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Dunno about Yennaris, hasn't really had a chance yet. Coquelin maybe but when he's played this season he's had more than a touch of the Songs about him - rather in and out of possession - and Frimpong has more chance of making it as a celebrity than a footballer.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I'd loved to see Yennaris make it - only been in the Capital One / Beer Cup but liked him every time I've seen him. Has got a fantastic attitude too which can't be said about all the young kids that come through the youth set up

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

All are good enough to make it in some role.

None will until Wenger leaves the club.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Top Londoner wrote:Of the three. Coquelin is most likely to make it atm.
Yennaris needs more time and Frimpong needs to wind his neck in before I get excited about his ability. No point running around like a headless chicken and kicking the opposition to pieces just to justify your love for the club, at least, not if you're a player anyway.
QuartzGooner has shown faith in Coquelin for sometime now. I can see why.
You took the words out of my mouth!
G88ner and myself been fans of Coquelin since seeing him dominate midfield in a pre-season game at Barnet a few years ago.

I actually think Coquelin has made it to an extent, fully justified a squad place though yet to justify a starter place ahead of Arteta or Wilshere. No worries about his physique, he has grown and filled out a bit since last season.

I am a big fan of Yennaris too; very positionally sound and a good passer.

Frimpong will either be the next Michael Thomas or the next Jay Emmanuel-Thomas...time will tell.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Coquelin will only ever be a squad player.Yennaris i just dont think he will be given a real chance.As for Frimpong i dont get it.He was shite at Reading and i can only see him plying his trade at a championship club and selling T-shirts.If Fergie was our manager he would have been out the door by now his attitude stinks

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

None of them will make it unless you regard playing for Palace' reserves and ending up at Chesterfield, St.Johnstone or Guingamp as making it :?

and i doubt Frimpong will even make it at that low level you wont even hear his name in 5-10 years time

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:None of them will make it unless you regard playing for Palace' reserves and ending up at Chesterfield, St.Johnstone or Guingamp as making it :?

and i doubt Frimpong will even make it at that low level you wont even hear his name in 5-10 years time
This ^ 8)

I really don't see anything in any of them as an early indicator of making it at the top level. You looked at Grannyshagger or Cesc or Jack as 17 year olds and you knew they were very rough around the edges but ultimately the quality and the football brain was there.

Coq, FrimpSong and Yennaris should all make a career out of the game to some degree, but at places like Bolton, Palace, or Wednesday, maybe Coq at Villa or Everton, but not setting the PL alight with Arsenal week in week out. Sad, but true, I reckon. :|