Previous Everton v Arsenal matches (Goodison Park)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Previous Everton v Arsenal matches (Goodison Park)

Post by StuartL »

I have a particular soft spot for Goodison as it was my first "proper" away trip outside of London and not including Norwich and we won 1-0 with a Perry Groves goal :barscarf:

We won on my next visit to 3-1 in 89 I think, Everton were a bloody good team at the time but couldn't cope with the swift breaks of Rocky and Thomas.

On my last visit my got beat 3-0 but I distinctly remember Rocastle being applauded off the pitch by the Evertonions (not always known for their sense of decency - just ask John Barnes)

Best performance in memory was opening day in 2009 ? 6-1 victory, when we closed down, worked our arses of and even Denilson scored a screamer !!!

I can also recall a 6-1 defeat many moons ago when Charlie Nicholas scored our loan goal.

Any favourite memories of yours to share ??
Last edited by StuartL on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northbank123

Re: Previous Everton v Arsenal matches

Post by northbank123 »

My only trip there was opening day 2004/05 season. Seem to remember weather being great and we swept this aside with a performance that was both effortless and powerful, typical of the time. It was Fabregas' first league game, I remember thinking what a player he's gonna be (but what an awful lid).

topcat

Post by topcat »

My first trip there was a draw sometime in the mid-90's cant remember much about it :?

I was there when Rooney burst on to the seen in 2002/03 and beat seaman from 30 yards and 2006 when we lost 1-0 to a james beattie goal :oops: :banghead:

And 2007/08 when Eduardo scored 2 in a 4-1 victory on a freezing cold night in December to put us top of the league. :)

topcat

Post by topcat »

Oh and the away end is a sh1t hole! And in my opinion the atmosphere is SO over-rated. Singing "everton, everton, everton" about twice a game yet they are known as much more passionate fans than we are although we sing loads more than them home and away!! :banghead:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I remember that Perry Groves goal in the League Cup semi and winning up there early on in the 1995-96 season with Platt and Wright scoring, being 2-0 up and drawing 2-2 in the 97-98 season and then winning 1-0 with a Wiltord mis-hit volley-cross-thing which just looped in on a rainy day in 2002. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X12ZkWiS-o8

spendsum4uckingmoney

Re: Previous Everton v Arsenal matches (Goodison Park)

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

I remember when 'ton got the 1 consolation goal toward the end of the 6-1 and thinking "we've learnt nothing, our defence is complacent as ever".

leono1

Post by leono1 »

Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me what pub to head for when i get there on sunday?

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

StuartL wrote:I have a particular soft spot for Goodison as it was my first "proper" away trip outside of London and not including Norwich and we won 1-0 with a Perry Groves goal :barscarf:

We won on my next visit to 3-1 in 89 I think, Everton were a bloody good team at the time but couldn't cope with the swift breaks of Rocky and Thomas.

On my last visit my got beat 3-0 but I distinctly remember Rocastle being applauded off the pitch by the Evertonions (not always known for their sense of decency - just ask John Barnes)

Best performance in memory was opening day in 2009 ? 6-1 victory, when we closed down, worked our arses of and even Denilson scored a screamer !!!

I can also recall a 6-1 defeat many moons ago when Charlie Nicholas scored our loan goal.

Was the Perry groves game the first leg of the 1988 League Cup Semi final ? He scored a cracker in that game. The 1989 win was pivotal in our league triumph that season, one of those games that convince you that you can win the title.

bang goes the 0-0 draw

Post by bang goes the 0-0 draw »

Only trip was when we beat them 2-1 in 2010. Sagna smashed one in and think Cesc got the other. Good old days with Squilaci :barscarf: :banghead:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Been there many a time ,was an evil nasty place full of racists ,not much has changed.
Best fun there was on a Friday night in 1980 , the night of the Tor Line hats ,chaos pandamonium, and Lots of looted beer followed by a trip to the races the following day for the Grand National ! No Idea what the result was ,but I won some money at Aintree !

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Herd wrote:Been there many a time ,was an evil nasty place full of racists ,not much has changed.
Best fun there was on a Friday night in 1980 , the night of the Tor Line hats ,chaos pandamonium, and Lots of looted beer followed by a trip to the races the following day for the Grand National ! No Idea what the result was ,but I won some money at Aintree !

remember the game , but had to look up the scorer..1-0 to the Arsenal..Steve Gatting getting the goal.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:
StuartL wrote:I have a particular soft spot for Goodison as it was my first "proper" away trip outside of London and not including Norwich and we won 1-0 with a Perry Groves goal :barscarf:

Was the Perry groves game the first leg of the 1988 League Cup Semi final ? He scored a cracker in that game. The 1989 win was pivotal in our league triumph that season, one of those games that convince you that you can win the title.

Yes Bradywasasking, the first leg of the cup semi - in the seats behind the goal where Perry scored and loved the old wooden stand that made such a racket when Gooners stamped their feet in unison.

Herd, I know Evertonions have a rep as being rasict, but they did applaud Rocky off the pitch one game when he was magnificent and they also applauded our coaches as we exited Liverpool after winning at Anfield in 1989, so maybe my judgement is slightly clouded as I have found Evertonions to be ok.

topcat

Post by topcat »

I live in mid wales, (not originally though before I get labelled) ...Behind liverpool then man united, everton are the 3rd most supported team in my area, and trust me they're NOT ok, they're bitter, deluded, biased and I cant bare them. :banghead:

I can't talk for every single evertonian obviously, but if any of you guys see what I see of them then you'd dislike the club like I do.

Poldi

Post by Poldi »

Went there in 2002, when a certain 16-year-old scored Everton's winner :cussing:

Watched Everton v Norwich (5-1) and Liverpool v Scum (1-2) both fa-cup matches in the mid 90s > Goodison's atmosphere by far better than Anfield's... :rubchin:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

topcat wrote:I live in mid wales, (not originally though before I get labelled) ...Behind liverpool then man united, everton are the 3rd most supported team in my area, and trust me they're NOT ok, they're bitter, deluded, biased and I cant bare them. :banghead:

I can't talk for every single evertonian obviously, but if any of you guys see what I see of them then you'd dislike the club like I do.
Must be the proximity to the North-West of England. South Wales is full of plastic Liverpool and United fans (who also 'support' Cardiff or Swansea when they're doing well) but no Everton fans. I've checked everywhere, not one.