Wayne Rooney

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue-Why?

Wayne Rooney

Post by Eboue-Why? »

We've had discussions on here about Beckham and whether he was as good as some people made out. What about the man who's partial to a bit of the more mature lady? He's just about to turn 29 and so given he's got at least a minimum of 3 or 4 years of International footie left is nailed on to beat both Shilton's appearance record and Charlton's goals record.
Where does he rate?

clockender1

Re: Wayne Rooney

Post by clockender1 »

Rooney from 17-23. worldclass.

strong on the ball, tireless, strong shot with little back lift, little fear, good positioning.pikey.

Rooney from 23 to date. meh.

poor stamina, smokes, drinks, bad tempered, drifts out of position, lazy running, lazy shots on goal.pikey.

a bit like Michael Owen but for different reasons - Rooney had done it all by 23, indulged by a series of managers that awarded him huge contracts then couldn't bench him. Same at internation level, regardless of form he got picked. to be Captain of England and United is laughable.

Not an Arsenal player by any measure. had he looked after himself and had a different outlook he could of been an England legend - like Shearer. but sadly not.

Phil Neville got nearly 80 caps i think, Gerrard and Lumpard too - its no measure of quality, more a sign of poor management.

in the last 15 years, Beckham is the closest to a legend due largely due to his peformance at OT against Greece but otherwise English footbal died on its arse about 2002.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

I think its fair to say that he never fulfilled the potential he showed when he was a teenager.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

If there was a world cup for molesting grannies this fuckwad would be Ingerland captain, manager, coach and the only player needed. And he'd win the fucking thing.

I'm just surprised he hasn't demanded club and country change his squad number to his lucky number: 65. The dirty little bollocks. :lol:

Afc5123

Post by Afc5123 »

Good up to 23

Now meh don't feel he brings a lot and compared to united current line up if he wasn't captain he wouldn't be in there starting 11. Same as us with Arteta

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Afc5123 wrote:Good up to 23

Now meh don't feel he brings a lot and compared to united current line up if he wasn't captain he wouldn't be in there starting 11. Same as us with Arteta
In fairness TV5 as our captain didnt feature much last season. Arteta still plays as apart from an aging Flamoni theres no one else that we have signed or groomed to play in that role :evil:
clockender1 wrote:Rooney from 17-23. worldclass.

strong on the ball, tireless, strong shot with little back lift, little fear, good positioning.pikey.

Rooney from 23 to date. meh.

poor stamina, smokes, drinks, bad tempered, drifts out of position, lazy running, lazy shots on goal.pikey.
Agree with all of that but I would say he was always bad tempered, but the other qualities redeemed him .

Theres an overall moan for me about the "leading caps and leading goalscorer" stuff, we play far more internationals than we used to with stupid minnow rubbish and expansion from Yugoslavia and Russia to 15 bits of Yugo and Russky teams, so the stats are as ever cruddy.

Rooney will never be up with Beckham ( :oops: ) Greaves Lineker Shilton Charltons Banks Moore et al- they were and always will be the cream of my lifetime, few more near there as well, sure a few will I hope join but Wayne isnt one. I would sort of place him alongside Shearer or Sherringham, very good but not a great

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Wants to play for a world class team AND be the main man. Ain't good enough.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Theoperator wrote:. I would sort of place him alongside Shearer or Sherringham, very good but not a great
thats a massive disservice to Shearer - had Shearer played for United or Liverpool he would have had a far more recognition. he did the business at three clubs and an international stage.

I'd put Shearer up with Lineker, Keegan, beardsley, robson, and wrighty. Rooney belongs in the also rans - barnes, owen, andy cole, hoddle, woodcock, mariner, waddle, francis, gasciogne

sheringham ? LOL. not even close - sheringham was 3rd tier - sutton, fowler, anderton, barnby, merse, aldridge, latchford

and yes, i know wrighty didn't get the caps, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was the best English striker from 1992-1997 and like Dixon and Nutty, should of have been a starter - alongside Shearer or had shearer playing off him.

any other European side and they would have built the side round him.

sheringham ? :censored:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Fat scouse prick who was over-indulged by the press. Had he not been English, he would have been vilified for his thuggishness and cuntishness.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

another piss poor performance tonight - which will be overshadowed by the penalty goal.

ox and welbz had a good go though. welbz off atter 66 for a rest.

Rooney unable to beat san marino's keeper one on one. pitiful.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

The ability to occasionally produce moments of brilliance shouldn't be the measure of greatness. The odd chip or overhead kick doesn't in any way compensate for the endless petulence, lack of effort, indiscipline, obesity, and frequent anonymous performances.

His canonisation by the press shows just how shit English footballers are. We've not got a single world-class player.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Sadly it was all down to that wonder goal against us when we were good. :(

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

GranadaJoe wrote: His canonisation by the press shows just how shit English footballers are. We've not got a single world-class player.
yet.

give chambers time son, he's only just begun :wink:

:barscarf:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

clockender1 wrote:
Theoperator wrote:. I would sort of place him alongside Shearer or Sherringham, very good but not a great
thats a massive disservice to Shearer - had Shearer played for United or Liverpool he would have had a far more recognition. he did the business at three clubs and an international stage.

I'd put Shearer up with Lineker, Keegan, beardsley, robson, and wrighty. Rooney belongs in the also rans - barnes, owen, andy cole, hoddle, woodcock, mariner, waddle, francis, gasciogne

sheringham ? LOL. not even close - sheringham was 3rd tier - sutton, fowler, anderton, barnby, merse, aldridge, latchford

and yes, i know wrighty didn't get the caps, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was the best English striker from 1992-1997 and like Dixon and Nutty, should of have been a starter - alongside Shearer or had shearer playing off him.

any other European side and they would have built the side round him.

sheringham ? :censored:
Accepting that Sherringham played for the clowns down the road his game was of course totally different to Shearer & Rooney, but putting him alongside sutton fowler barnby etc does him a massive disservice, his positioning was second to none, which is why his partnership with Shearer was so good, he knew exactly where to sit to feed or feed off him, and also why he continued playing on much later than many. Anyone that manages to play PL football till their 40s gets my huge respect.

Its all about opinions at the end of the day of course, but he like many who play subtle positioning games often get ignored against out and out runners like Owen or blasters like Shearer Rooney or Latchford. BTW I would put Beardsley down and sub him for Sherringham in your otherwise pretty good list, Latchford though was another one who was maybe ignored as he didnt play for a fashionable club. :wink:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

fair points op, but sheringham has 11 England goals - same as our Danny :wink:

Beardsley i feel was actually one of the very best England players - but often played on the wing - because he could - he banged in dozens from the centre for liverpool, but became the salvation of Andy Cole at Newcastle in that season cole got 30+ and he had two very good world cups supplying Lineker.

but back on topic (ish) Rooney is not a player i ever wanted at Arsenal, same as Barnes and Gazza. i just never liked any of them as players - great talents yes, but too erratic, too frustrating.

and i'm sticking with my prediction that rooney will walk away either this january or next january.

i just think he's done. he's done it all, his family and friends live the celeb lifestyle and lets face it he's as thick as shit. a smarter guy would have engineered a move to spain or italy and reinvented himself like Beckham, Keegan, Lineker, and Francis did.

i also think rooney will go the way of Gazza - a fat drunk, after football because he's got nothing outside it - he doesn't play golf or do horses, or has a business or any other interests.

he's a car crash waiting to happen imho.