Nets behind the gosls

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Revgoon89

Nets behind the gosls

Post by Revgoon89 »

Okay, so I realize after the shite of today's game this must seem quite pedantic and trivial but bear with me.

So has anyone else noticed those nets they place behind the goals during pre-match practice; while good in theory are doing sod all to stop balls flying into the crowd? The idea behind them is fine but they really arn't doing their job right.

I sit 6 rows from the front of the pitch, right behind the north bank goal mouth and today had at least three balls come close to whacking me in the face, a poor elderly lady behind me caught a ball right in her face and hit the floor, wound up with a bloody nose and what looked like a concussion, Medics wound up taking her away for about 30 minutes and the steward attending to her agreed that the nets aren't working. either remove them or make them higher.

Anyone else noticing this? Some of us wondered if the players are blasting the balls to see if they can get them over the nets, but when you're right behind the goalmouth and still having to duck then it defeats the point of having them there. Is it worth contacting the club and seeing what they say?

Perryashburtongroves

Re: Nets behind the gosls

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Something that's supposed to stop balls getting in to dangerous areas but doesn't work properly. That sounds a lot like our defence for the last few years.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Revgoon have you got a video of the old lady getting nailed with the ball? Need a laugh after today.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

shame this question didn't make the AGM!!

seriously hope that old lady was alright though.

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

Fu*king wankers can't even keep their shots down - though I must say I'm surprised by this as I never see us shoot from outside the box during matches? :rubchin:

Hopefully that woman is alright; she should receive some sort of compensation - a signed ball or a free ticket.

Revgoon89

Post by Revgoon89 »

northbank123 wrote:Revgoon have you got a video of the old lady getting nailed with the ball? Need a laugh after today.
I was more concerned with not getting balls in my face :lol: was the only time the team looked threatening today. :-P
Supagoon wrote:shame this question didn't make the AGM!!

She came back about 10 minutes into the game and seemed okay, few bruises.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

All the crap about how shit we are ,and this is what get ,YE you are fucking right trivial and pedantic

:wink:
Last edited by mcdowell42 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Revgoon89 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Revgoon have you got a video of the old lady getting nailed with the ball? Need a laugh after today.
I was more concerned with not getting balls in my face :lol: was the only time the team looked threatening today. :-P

She came back from an injury in 10 minutes..thank God it wasn't the Arsenal medical team that got their hands on her. :D

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:Fu*king wankers can't even keep their shots down - though I must say I'm surprised by this as I never see us shoot from outside the box during matches? :rubchin:

Hopefully that woman is alright; she should receive some sort of compensation - a signed ball or a free ticket.
The woman gets smashed in the face by a football and has to come back to watch that turgid shite and you want to make her go through it again??? Sadist :twisted:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:rubchin: What's a Gosl ? :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Revgoon89 wrote:

More bottle than Ozil by the sound of it.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

OneBardGooner wrote::rubchin: What's a Gosl ? :?

Gosl= an unpleasant experience when smacked in the face by a ball when not expecting it. Rarely encountered at The Arsenal in recent times, as the ball seldom is kicked goal wards except by the opposition.

Another usage is the feeling when a female TV commentator asks some unexpected home truths after another insipid performance (AKA owngosl :wink: )

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Theoperator wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote::rubchin: What's a Gosl ? :?

Gosl= an unpleasant experience when smacked in the face by a ball when not expecting it. Rarely encountered at The Arsenal in recent times, as the ball seldom is kicked goal wards except by the opposition.

Another usage is the feeling when a female TV commentator asks some unexpected home truths after another insipid performance (AKA owngosl :wink: )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29677078

THERE'S ONLY ONE JACQUI OATLEY

ONE JACQUI OATLEY!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Back on thread - I hope the woman was okay!? - If the safety nets are not working she could sue Arsenal - They've plenty of money in the kitty as we all know.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I am completely whelmed by this issue. Thank you.

HARLOW GOONER

Post by HARLOW GOONER »

Revgoon89 wrote:Okay, so I realize after the shite of today's game this must seem quite pedantic and trivial but bear with me.

So has anyone else noticed those nets they place behind the goals during pre-match practice; while good in theory are doing sod all to stop balls flying into the crowd? The idea behind them is fine but they really arn't doing their job right.

I sit 6 rows from the front of the pitch, right behind the north bank goal mouth and today had at least three balls come close to whacking me in the face, a poor elderly lady behind me caught a ball right in her face and hit the floor, wound up with a bloody nose and what looked like a concussion, Medics wound up taking her away for about 30 minutes and the steward attending to her agreed that the nets aren't working. either remove them or make them higher.

Anyone else noticing this? Some of us wondered if the players are blasting the balls to see if they can get them over the nets, but when you're right behind the goalmouth and still having to duck then it defeats the point of having them there. Is it worth contacting the club and seeing what they say?
You need to get out more other than watch the team warm up an hour before the game