Bobby Pires you Fucking Legend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
tenementfunster5

Bobby Pires you Fucking Legend

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Taken from Arsenal.com

Pires - Why I bought a Highbury Square flat
By Chris Harris

Robert Pires used to be a Highbury hero; before long he will be a Highbury resident.

The Frenchman joined Villarreal last summer after six years in north London, but his affection for Arsenal remains undimmed. That's why Pires has bought a flat at Highbury Square, the residential development which is taking shape at the Club's former home.

"I was so attached to the Club and everything that it brought me that I bought a flat at Highbury," Pires told Arsenal's matchday programme. "I will use it when we stay with my family in London and later if my children want to study in London they will have a pied-à-terre.

"Buying a flat in Highbury is a symbol of my affection for the Club. To have a flat on the ground where I once played, which holds so many fond memories for me is something very special."

Pires capped a glittering Arsenal career with a goal in the last-ever game at Highbury last May. The Frenchman's early strike - his 84th for the Club - set up a 4-2 win against Wigan which clinched a Champions League spot for Arsène Wenger's side. Pires has fond memories of that day.

"I think about that game quite often," he said. "It was the last match at Highbury and it was very emotional. Highbury was legendary. I’m proud to have scored a goal there at the last ever game.

"I was given the photo of my goal celebration as a memento. I’m jumping in front of the Clock End, with the fans dressed in red T-shirts celebrating the last game. I framed that amazing picture."

Rilo II

Post by Rilo II »

I lost a lot of respect for Bobby after reading his recent comments regarding the champions league final.

Fuzzfeast

Post by Fuzzfeast »

I know what he is supposed to have said, but who wouldn’t get pissed off after being substituted early in such an important game so we could bring Almunia on? Pires has also been quoted as saying he would like to come back, see below.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... d=3&cpid=8

We won't see him back now but he left because Valencia were offering him two years instead of the Arsenal policy of one for over-30s. Pires was the best player in the Premiership in 2001-02 and that was when he couldn’t finish the season because he got that bastard knee injury when he went down in front of the Clock End holding his arm up. The whole ground went quiet because we knew it was serious. He couldn’t play the last few weeks of the season or in the FA Cup Final against Chelsea but he won it in 2003 by scoring the only goal v Southampton that got us the record off of the Spuds (held since 1961-62) for being the last team to retain the FA Cup. Pires is still a Gooner in my book, one I would pick for my best Arse eleven.

Rilo II

Post by Rilo II »

Of course you'd be frustrated at coming off in the CL final. But we were put in a position which couldnt be helped. Someone had to go and Wenger decided it would be Bobby. No one is bigger than the team, and the boss made his choice, which he thought would be best. A choice that very nearly saw us win the game and the tournament. No one is in a position to question Wengers decisions.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

When all said and done he is an all time Arsenal great and gets in my Greatest Arsenal 11 (from my 25 yrs of following them) comfortably. I'd play him just behind Perry Groves...........ok so that bit was a joke!

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

that got us the record off of the Spuds (held since 1961-62) for being the last team to retain the FA Cup
1981-82 you mean.

I don't think Pires's position as an Arsenal hero could ever be questioned.

Appearently Wenger's also going to buy a flat at old Highbury.

Fuzzfeast

Post by Fuzzfeast »

:oops: fact not registered in my memory because I didn't bother watching the replay v QPR in 1982.

stearmaster

bob

Post by stearmaster »

pires is a legend no matter wat ne1 ses.....arsne wenger lives the house behind my boss, but my boss is a jew and dont know hwe lives there.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

fact not registered in my memory because I didn't bother watching the replay v QPR in 1982.
When the patriotic 'look at how many English players we have compared to you' Spurs fans were singing the name of an absent Argentinian at the height of the Falklands war.

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

Always loved Bobby P . He always used to weigh in with the goals always seemed to score against Spurs and the season he got injured was probably his best ever for us. Ok he hit the deck a few times but I can also say I was there when he actually made a tackle ! and what a tackle it was on Patrick Viera to set up the Fabregas goal against Juve !