Why we will win the league

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
steve1987

Why we will win the league

Post by steve1987 »

Okay, I'm going to be as positive as possible about this (and I don't really believe we will win the league) and here is WHY WILL WIN THE LEAGUE:

Next weekend: 29-30 March
We will beat Bolton, I'm confident of that - leaving us above Chelsea, and only 3 points behind Man Utd. Arsenal win

Man Utd play next, but under a little bit more pressure against an Aston Villa side who got draws at Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool this season. Having said that, United should win. Man Utd win

Chelsea then play Middlesbrough on Sunday, who got a point at Arsenal, and will be confident having only lost 3 games since New Years' Day. Chelsea will be feeling the heat, back in 3rd and may rest players as they play in Turkey 3 days later. Chelsea win

So as you were then, but we've got our confidence back.

5-6 April:
Again, we play first, with a tough game against Liverpool. But, in between the big Champions League matches, I'm confident that Liverpool may rest one or two (particularly as after beating Everton there is a 5-point gap to 5th now), and that we will pick up the points. Arsenal win

Chelsea then face a trip to Man City, who are tough to score against, and keep grinding out decent results (they've only lost 4 in 16 in the League).
Chelsea will be finishing a Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday trot, tired from travelling to Turkey. I think they'll drop points here and we'll be 2nd. Draw

Man Utd play on the Sunday, but may have seen Chelsea slip the day before - hopefully they'll take it easy. I think they may only draw in Rome, so the 2nd leg will be vital. Middlesbrough consistently pick up points against United. They should win, but you never know. Man Utd win

Man Utd 79
Arsenal 73
Chelsea 72

13-14 April
Ok, this is make or break time.

Huge match at Old Trafford. Even if we are still 6 points behind at this point, a win here would blow the thing wide open - I don't think anyone could disagree with this. We have to believe we are good enough. Hopefully we will be on a post-Champions League high (minus the travelling). Van Persie should be firing by now, and Rosicky back too, this could be our moment to turn things around. Remember, the pressure will be on United, we're goners as far as the title is concerned. It's theirs to lose. Still, I think a draw wouldn't rule us out just yet. And its realistic. Draw

Again, Chelsea play after us on the Monday, under pressure, but I think they will still easily beat Wigan, and bring up 100 home games without defeat. Chelsea win

As you were, but we've proved we can cope with United. We're not out of it just yet.

19 April
All three teams in action on the Saturday, but again we go first, and if we have beaten United, we go level on points with them today when we see off Reading. Arsenal win

Chelsea play second, four points behind by now, and have a tough trip to Everton, who are desperate for the points for 4th place. I think they'll drop points here. Draw

Man Utd travel to Blackburn in the tea-time game and this could be a tough one for them. There is a chance they will drop points here, particularly if they have their eyes on a testing match with Barcelona in the Champions League, albeit a slim chance. Draw

Man Utd 81
Arsenal 77
Chelsea 76

26-28 April
Chelsea v Man Utd, 12.45 Saturday. Am banking on Chelsea to do us a fabour here. This is in between European games, but Chelsea will have played on the Tuesday in England, while Man Utd went to Barcelona on the Wednesday. I think a Chelsea win is easily possible. They will know that they must win to get back in the title race too. A draw is no good to them. Chelsea win

So we go to Derby, hopefully on the Saturday because it will mean we are still in Europe, and we'll surely win there! Arsenal win

Man Utd 81
Arsenal 80
Chelsea 79

3-4 May
We have Everton at home, who might be out of the race for a Champions League spot by now (Liverpool have had a nice run: Blackburn, Fulham, Birmingham). We'll win this one. Arsenal win

Chelsea go to Newcastle, but we're more interested in overhauling Man Utd by now. Chelsea win

Man Utd v West Ham: How we'd love a Hammers favour. I think we'll get one too - like last day of the season last year. West Ham will be confident, they've beaten Derby and Newcastle in the past 2 weeks, while Man Utd will be starting to panic. Draw

Arsenal 83
Man Utd 82
Chelsea 82

Final weekend

We go to Sunderland, where Keane will be looking to ruin it for us.

Man Utd go to Wigan, where Bruce will do 'em a favour.

And Chelsea host Bolton, which is 3 points in the bag.

But it's in our hands by now, which is a miracle. And we're not gonna blow it.

Thats how we win the thing, by a point.

Ok - so you reckon Man Utd won't draw against Blackburn and West Ham?
Quite possibly you're right. But then again when it really matters, we might beat them at Old Trafford, and it will be in our hands, a week earlier.

This is how we win the thing.

I really think it helps that we play first the next two weekends, meaning that we feel in the title race, as we're back to just 3 behind.

If Chelsea, 5 points behind, are in it, then so are we, surely. They should drop points along the line, with trips to Everton and Man City to come. Both Man Utd and Chelsea will have European trips abroad, while we won't.

Anyone convinced? I'm feeling more positive already.

crocit

Post by crocit »

i really enjoyed reading that! and looking at Uniteds and Chavs predictions u did, i think predict too! but im not confident on us preforming :cry: look at our strikers, when are they gona start scoring. wud be excellent if we were off to the Stadium of light with it in our own hands :D

skipper

Post by skipper »

Great post mate and you've almost convinced me, but then |I looked back at beginning of yr post and saw that you're predicting us beating Bolton... :lol:

Still I hope more than anything else that you're right...

hanny73

Post by hanny73 »

I love your optimism Stevie, it makes pleasant reading after many of the recent posts.

youngw

Post by youngw »

there is still a glimmer of hope i feel because the other 2 do have pretty tough games. probably tougher than all of our fixtures. but we just arent performing at the minute. if we were playing how we were a couple of months ago i would be very confident.

united still have to go to blackburn chelsea and wigan where they will all give them a very tough game. they go to boro as well who are always up for the games against the big clubs it seems.

gerstygooner

Post by gerstygooner »

Stevie, I want to live in your world mate!! it must be great there.....I don't know if all your predictions will come true. All I want is to try and take it all the way to the last game of the season, to do this we must beat the mancs!...oh yeah and win the champions league

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Cracking read. Really well thought out post, mate. 8)

I agree (and said on another thread) that manure will certainly drop points before the end. They are overly reliant on Dive-aldo (a knock or dip in form from her and they will struggle) and are scraping their way through some games.

The win against the Mousers yesterday needs to be put into perspective too; the Pool were piss poor, Gerrard did his usual disappearing trick against the big sides, Moutherano was a solid fucking idiot and was odds on to be sent off all the way through the game and Torres got absolutely no protection from Ferguson's cousin Steve Bennet. Manure were not that good in all honesty.

I love your run in theory, and I hope you are right but I feel the weak link in your theory is actually, er... us! Can we step up and take advantage of the chavs and manure dropping points? I don't know... :?

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Well done Stevie.
I can ALMOST beleive it will happen.
You have managed to cheer me up. :D

It's never over 'till the fat lady sings.
Although I can hear her warming her voice up backstage.

We have been so unlucky in our last five games. We are due a change of fortunes. ManU and Chelsea have had an enormous amount of luck this season. So they are also due for a change of fortunes.

Maybe, just maybe, we could win it.

steve1987

Post by steve1987 »

Well, everything totally depends on our form, you're completely right.

If we stuff up against Bolton, then we can forget it totally.

Just think of it like this, if we do beat them, then you will sit down to watch the Utd-Villa game praying for a Villa win. You wouldn't be doing that if we were totally out of it.

the_gooner89

Post by the_gooner89 »

I also enjoyed the read. At last someone who shares the positivty i have.
And i will be at Old Trafford to see us beat te mugs.
Well done stevie.

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

If all this comes true, then you all must look back at your positive and negative posts and say 'It didn't look likely, but we've done it!' and all the negatives will be gobsmacked!

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

As I said before:

It is easy to predict and say that'll happen. I bet most would have predicted wins against Wigan, Birmingham away and the likes of Aston Villa, Middlesbrough at home. Football is just unpredictable.

Hopefully my last sentence will work the treat for us 8) :wink:

dvbrisgooner1

Post by dvbrisgooner1 »

If all hope is lost just stick your head in the sand and make up fantasy football. :lol:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Even though some people will claim the above scenerio is highly unlikely, we've seen much stranger things then that happen before in football and no-one can say it's impossible that events might turn out as above.

So to answer your question, yes I am a little bit more optimistic. Nice one stevie_b_19. 8) :lol: :wink:

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

The unpredictability of football could also mean that United would trounce all the other teams 5-0 and walk away with the league.