Man Cheaty 115 charges / Everton / Other Corruption Super Thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Man Cheaty 115 charges / Everton / Other Corruption Super Thread (merged)

Post by DB10GOONER »

A good legal team can hold up ANY legal process. It is the initial strategy of all legal defence teams. Delay the process. It is an easy and efficient way to dull the public interest in the legal case, it provides time to build a stronger defence and to try and drain the prosecuting side's human and financial resources to the point where often they are forced to make a call on the financial suitability of proceeding. Sometimes the delaying tactic is also used to allow certain senior personnel the time to move on from their current role.

Once they are careful not to offend or annoy the judge/s a good defence team can delay a case for years. Literally, years.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:51 am
A good legal team can hold up ANY legal process. It is the initial strategy of all legal defence teams. Delay the process. It is an easy and efficient way to dull the public interest in the legal case, it provides time to build a stronger defence and to try and drain the prosecuting side's human and financial resources to the point where often they are forced to make a call on the financial suitability of proceeding. Sometimes the delaying tactic is also used to allow certain senior personnel the time to move on from their current role.

Once they are careful not to offend or annoy the judge/s a good defence team can delay a case for years. Literally, years.

I understand and agree with all that, by my point was that BP7 has continually said that the law of the land has nothing to do with this case - this is a football industry case and as such is governed by premier league laws, so they really shouldnt be able to delay it to this extent should they ??

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

augie wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:34 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:25 am
augie wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:16 am
Again buddy I will say that I would have a lot more confidence in this process if citeeh were not able to drag this out so easily - how can anyone be confident that the premier league will dish out proper justice if they cant even get them to a hearing ?? It will be 18 months from the time they were first charged before verdicts come down - people have faced murder trials quicker ffs :banghead: :banghead:
Our legal system allows this. A bit like cases regarding asylum seekers, there are a myriad of ways to frustrate a simple process. The Premier League aren’t to blame here. But the actual hearing is close.

This is where it confuses me - on one hand you are saying that this is a football case and nothing to do with law of the land, and then a while later you are saying that they can hold it up cos of the uk legal system, so you can see the contradiction there right ?
The Premier League is a private entity. They have come up with a set of rules to administer the League. City have challenged those rules as unlawful through the British Legal system. An odd defence but that’s what they have done. The Premier League has spent years fighting City’s lawyers in order to prove that they are allowed to set the rules that they have in place. This is not a Court process ordinarily but City have sought to challenge the legality of the Premier League’s rules. They have failed. I can see why it looks confusing but that is exactly what City are trying to do. Now that the legal challenges are over (hopefully) then the Premier League can get on with looking at the specific charges.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fuck me, that's brilliant. The big sky blue asterisk at the end. :lol:

I can't believe that PP have done that, as you'd think City would be al over them legally. Mind you, I suppose the last thing City want to do is draw attention to it, which is another sign that they're as guilty as fuck.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:16 pm
augie wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:
augie wrote:
Again buddy I will say that I would have a lot more confidence in this process if citeeh were not able to drag this out so easily - how can anyone be confident that the premier league will dish out proper justice if they cant even get them to a hearing ?? It will be 18 months from the time they were first charged before verdicts come down - people have faced murder trials quicker ffs :banghead: :banghead:
Our legal system allows this. A bit like cases regarding asylum seekers, there are a myriad of ways to frustrate a simple process. The Premier League aren’t to blame here. But the actual hearing is close.

This is where it confuses me - on one hand you are saying that this is a football case and nothing to do with law of the land, and then a while later you are saying that they can hold it up cos of the uk legal system, so you can see the contradiction there right ?
The Premier League is a private entity. They have come up with a set of rules to administer the League. City have challenged those rules as unlawful through the British Legal system. An odd defence but that’s what they have done. The Premier League has spent years fighting City’s lawyers in order to prove that they are allowed to set the rules that they have in place. This is not a Court process ordinarily but City have sought to challenge the legality of the Premier League’s rules. They have failed. I can see why it looks confusing but that is exactly what City are trying to do. Now that the legal challenges are over (hopefully) then the Premier League can get on with looking at the specific charges.
It doesn't matter, the Premier League cant tie their shoelaces up. They are out of their depth when it comes to law. City as I have said has some of the best lawyers in the world. You put a lot of faith in an organisation that has been run by a bunch of amateurs down the years.

And as for independent/private entity, If Abu Dhabi starts throwing barbs at the Government, you don't think a lot of heavy leaning will go on to at the very least get penalties watered down.

If the PL independent panel does their job properly, City should be relegated, end of. Lets see if that happens. I am not holding my breath.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:17 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 4:50 pm
As I mentioned on the other thread, the supporters of the big clubs showed what can be achieved when they opposed the Super League and the big clubs here and in Europe backtracked very quickly.

If the official supporters clubs for each team can get their heads together, then they can start an anti City corruption movement that will spread to the fans. Imagine the scenes wherever City play if there are banners calling them cheats and chants and songs about their corruption. It would be heard and seen on Sky, MOTD and wherever the games are beamed throughout the world. That will damage the brand more than finding City guilty, because it paints the authorities as weak and/or complicit.
They’d be forced to act if the outrage became that virulent and toxic.

My concern with our own official supporters club is that they’re too supine and afraid to cause waves. I was involved in conversations with them during the Kroenke Out campaign and there are lines that they won’t cross…and I don’t mean particularly radical lines. They meet with the club and it seems that they’re afraid to queer their pitch.

I suspect that the scouse and Utd suppporters clubs would be more militant.

Anyway, no harm can come of supporter protest.

Difference is mutual interest is what binded them together then, where as in this issue only one club can really benefit with citeeh properly punished

Seriously augie, you genuinely believe that there's no shared interest?? I assume you're suggesting that we're the only club that can benefit? Well, two years ago you'd have said it was Liverpool, who were also in the mix until the final knockings this season.

Liverpool might be changing their manager, but they aren't about to give up believing they can compete and no way will Utd and the Chavs, as poor as they've both been, disappear from the scene. Those three and us will all want to see to see City reigned in, although the Chavs need to be careful, because it's likely that they're on thin ice too.

Added to the big boys, the likes of the scum, Villa and the Geordies all want to play in the CL, so removing City from the equation makes it easier. If 4 or 5 of the big clubs' official supporters groups team up to make a fuss, then I genuinely believe it will snowball and the smaller clubs will follow suit. As I said previously, their fans will definitely jump on the bandwagon when City visit. Get some songs and chants about corruption and cheating in place and this starts getting into the public's consciousness. Paddy Power are already onboard.

I'll say it again, getting the supporters groups involved can't do any harm and there's at least half a dozen with a vested interest in seeing City toppled.
Last edited by Retro Gunner on Tue May 21, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

That Paddy Power ad is great! :D
But also significant. they have posted it only because so many people are talking about it.

Huge pressure now on the PL to do something.
My feeling is that City will just get a few fines to pay ( possibly running into hundreds of millions of pounds ) but unless they are fined several billion pounds it will have no impact on City whatsoever.

The only losers in all this will be the PL because I feel their brand is now becoming tarnished.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:58 pm
That Paddy Power ad is great! :D
But also significant. they have posted it only because so many people are talking about it.

Huge pressure now on the PL to do something.
My feeling is that City will just get a few fines to pay ( possibly running into hundreds of millions of pounds ) but unless they are fined several billion pounds it will have no impact on City whatsoever.

The only losers in all this will be the PL because I feel their brand is now becoming tarnished.
Get the story snowballing and get all the opposing fans singing and chanting about corruption when City are playing and it will be beamed all over the globe. That's more damaging to the PL and especially if they fail to deal with City properly. At least if they act it sends the message that the competition is clean (yeah I know) and that cheats will be punished. That's a powerful message to send and shores up the integrity of the league.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:46 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
augie wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:
augie wrote:

It doesn't matter, the Premier League cant tie their shoelaces up. They are out of their depth when it comes to law. City as I have said has some of the best lawyers in the world. You put a lot of faith in an organisation that has been run by a bunch of amateurs down the years.

And as for independent/private entity, If Abu Dhabi starts throwing barbs at the Government, you don't think a lot of heavy leaning will go on to at the very least get penalties watered down.

If the PL independent panel does their job properly, City should be relegated, end of. Lets see if that happens. I am not holding my breath.
This is a good point and McDowell raised it yesterday too.

I've no doubt that Abu Dhabi will put pressure on the UK govt to bury this, or ensure that any punishment is no more than a slap on the wrist and our weak politicians are very likely to lean on the PL and FA. I've no idea how important Abu Dhabi is to the UK economy, but if they have financial leverage, then they'll use it.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:15 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:46 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
augie wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

This is a good point and McDowell raised it yesterday too.

I've no doubt that Abu Dhabi will put pressure on the UK govt to bury this, or ensure that any punishment is no more than a slap on the wrist and our weak politicians are very likely to lean on the PL and FA. I've no idea how important Abu Dhabi is to the UK economy, but if they have financial leverage, then they'll use it.
And that's the point Nick Harris made to the AST, there are very few investigative journalists that have exposed City for what they are. He is trolled relentlessly by City fans online, they absolutely hate him. We arent talking a few million quid here and there, we are talking thousands of jobs and billions to the UK economy on the line.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

There’s a clear precedent in the fines given to Everton and Forest. There is no way out of this for City.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
augie wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:
augie wrote:

English (and Welsh) legal system. There is no such thing as a ‘British legal system’. Scotland and Northern Ireland have separate legal autonomy to England and Wales. ‘British law’ is a (common) misguided term, and the only time the United Kingdom is mentioned as a legal collective is on the international/supranational law stage.

A minor, pedantic, point but I teach law at university level so….pedantic I must be. :lol:

Bobby, which court did City last challenge the rules in? If you can find any information on party names I may be able to find the rulings on Westlaw or LexisNexis (legal research tools).

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:49 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
augie wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:
augie wrote:

English (and Welsh) legal system. There is no such thing as a ‘British legal system’. Scotland and Northern Ireland have separate legal autonomy to England and Wales. ‘British law’ is a (common) misguided term, and the only time the United Kingdom is mentioned as a legal collective is on the international/supranational law stage.

A minor, pedantic, point but I teach law at university level so….pedantic I must be. :lol:

Bobby, which court did City last challenge the rules in? If you can find any information on party names I may be able to find the rulings on Westlaw or LexisNexis (legal research tools).
Is this City’s legal Team there? :lol:

Let me find you a link.