England 2018 World Cup bid

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

skipper wrote:
Arsenal 1991 wrote:
skipper wrote:
Iceman29 wrote:
Arsenal 1991 wrote:Also what the hell is going to happen to all the infrastructure when the world cup is over. I think almost 4 times the population of qatar went to matches the sa world cup.
Its good for the country and tourism. Ever seen anyone complain about excessive infrastructure. Qatar also plan to dismantle some of the stadiums and donate them to the poorer countries and re-build them in those countries
:corkbarry:

:wink:
The stadiums do look beautiful but I just don't understand how a country with qatars human rights record can get the bid.

Another thing their population is smaller than birmingham's. That just sums it up really.
I was just pointing out that Ireland is in with a shot for new stadium :wink:

AS for Human Rights record, as I stated earlier:

1994 World Cups were held in countries with questionable human rights record. You can also add Russia to this.
Just wanted to add the country who hosted the 1966 to this lost of Human Rights villians

One reason why we are hated is because we are one of History's biggest bullies...most the world's problems are a cause of English/British colonialism.....

skipper

Post by skipper »

It seems FA had employed wrong Englishmen... :shock:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... intcmp=239

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

CraigPollard wrote:
MM99 wrote:
CraigPollard wrote:
MM99 wrote:
Shit post that looks like it's been taken from the comments section of a daily mail page where uneducated morons 'like' it and give it thumbs up.
Thanks for the constructive criticism MM, although i have never read the Daily Mail, be it in printed or online form and cannot relate to the comments section of their articles either.

May i ask which part of my post implied i am uneducated?

Feel free to disprove anything i posted, but dont just respond to a factual post with such a flippant and pointless reply just because you happen to disagree. It makes you, not me, appear uneducated.
The fact that you were harping on about the whole Sharia law thing just as ever other Muslim-bashing person does, as though they are all suddenly experts on Sharia law. It also makes me laugh when they start quoting passages in the Quran that non-Muslims must be converted or killed, something that you've referred to in your post, not realising that the websites in which they are taking these 'honest literal translations' from are in fact hugely out of context and can only be truly understood if you read it in Arabic. So if you've actually read the Quran and that is the viewpoint that you've understood please tell me, otherwise you really shouldn't be commenting on something that you have little understanding of, especially when it's based off of what other people have interpreted in an attempt to discredit Islam.

Me personally, i am not religous and have a very relaxed view on life. However, one thing i can't stand is seeing the same ridiculous arguments being repeated all over the internet that are simply xenophobic and intended to create hate and intolerance amongst people.
Fair comment, although you have extended on my post somewhat.

My references to the Quran were in relation to the homosexual related posts earlier. I referenced Shari'ah law as this is the law that dictates homosexuality to be illegal and there is no denying that this "law" is based on the afforementioned book. My comparissons to other aspects (i.e. public stoning/religious conversion etc) were founded as they come from the same "law"/book.
I agree that Qatar is a much more liberal place than Saudi for example, but this barbaric belief towards homosexuality is shocking.

Bottom line, this is a football forum and i dont wish to clog it up with religious based posts. I dare say that this will end in an "agree to disagree" situation anyway.
Should you wish to continue the discussion, feel free to send me a PM and we can continue offline (well, without boring everyone else anyway)

Now, Back to the football.....

:barscarf:
This is the bit I just can't get my head around. Its backwards, well everything about this is backwards to be honest.

CraigPollard

Post by CraigPollard »

Arsenal 1991 wrote: This is the bit I just can't get my head around. Its backwards, well everything about this is backwards to be honest.
Agreed.....

Im not just fucked off because im English and really wanted us to host the greatest international football tournament in the world, i just dont see how 2 world cups were awarded to countries who between them only currently have one stadium that qualifies under FIFAs regulations.

Bollocks to all this legacy shit that is being branded about. Surely you should have to earn the right to host this event, not just have the money to fund it.

I would have loved us to host it, i really would have, but for reasons that i wont go back over, we didnt.
That still doesnt make me think that the countries awarded the rights to host were the best options though..

Mind you, its not like FIFA being corrupt is a shock to anyone really.

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

MM99 wrote:
kingjayson1 wrote:
MM99 wrote:Up by The Ridgeway. How about you?
On Windmill Hill. :barscarf:
Oh so just a couple of minutes from each other then. You wouldn't happen to live in one of those new-ish flats would you?
No, on Gladbeck Way by the station.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

kingjayson1 wrote:The whole WC experience for me personally is about a new country, the culture etc. The designs from Qatar looked impressive and the air cooling in stadiums does work.

No doubt there was back handers to get it to Qatar but to me FIFA is as corrupt as anything and most of the WC bids are likely to be bent I'd blame the almighty FIFA whom are meant to be the Home of Football. Sepp Blatter, c**t.
For you KJ ok, but the issue is the criteria that FIFA lay down. Qatar had the worst inspection report, and have so many social and logistical issues, and it is really about whether Qatar deserves it on that basis. They don't.

Great post by Craig Pollard. I don't think he deserves abuse for telling the truth. And just because the truth makes some feel unsettled, doen't mean it isn't so.

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

Great article on the subject, short too :lol:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rogermosey/2 ... iddin.html

MM99

Post by MM99 »

Never thought i'd say this, but fair play to the FA and all involved with them. They have refused to be all diplomatic about the outrageous behaviour of the FIFA ExCo members and are saying what we are all thinking. It's one thing to have loads of us moaning on forums such as these, but to have high profile members of England's footballing body come out and publically condemn FIFA is another matter. I hope this brings FIFA and their dealings into disrepute and paves the way for more investigations into their corruptness, and who knows, perhaps we might see more countries taking a stand against FIFA and lead to some positive, radical change :twisted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9256772.stm

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

Ken Bates spot on for once:

Leeds chairman Bates reacted by branding FIFA 'a waste of space'. Bates told Yorkshire Radio: 'I'm of the opinion that the big European nations should resign from FIFA and start their own organisation.

Moment of truth: FIFA awarded the 2018 World Cup to Russia
'If they (FIFA) didn't have Spain, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom there wouldn't be a FIFA. There wouldn't be a UEFA for that matter.
'The only way to deal with FIFA is to withdraw from it and let them get on with it.
'FIFA are a two-bob organisation above any law and should be treated with the contempt they deserve.
'It's a case of the tail wagging the dog. We have little Jack Warner standing in the corner, Oceania, the Caribbean, and the oil states. All that happens is they keep giving the votes to Blatter so he stays there in power.

'The fact of the matter is we (England) have the best stadiums and the best infrastructure. If you think of the disaster of the Champions League final in Moscow a couple of years ago when people were being billeted 100 miles away it's a joke.
'And as for Qatar - I always think someone is clearing their throat when they say that. How are they going to develop football? Australia, who have all the stadia and put a tremendous Olympics on, would have put on a great show.
'FIFA is a waste of space. It's a money making organisation and I don't think they give a damn about football.'
Asked if each individual footballing nation should have a seperate vote, rather than FIFA's executive committee, Bates added: 'Should the Bahamas have the same vote as England? Should Andorra have the same as Germany? No, it's rubbish, we should form an elite association of countries.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z176YE2vWc

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

MM99 wrote:Never thought i'd say this, but fair play to the FA and all involved with them. They have refused to be all diplomatic about the outrageous behaviour of the FIFA ExCo members and are saying what we are all thinking. It's one thing to have loads of us moaning on forums such as these, but to have high profile members of England's footballing body come out and publically condemn FIFA is another matter. I hope this brings FIFA and their dealings into disrepute and paves the way for more investigations into their corruptness, and who knows, perhaps we might see more countries taking a stand against FIFA and lead to some positive, radical change :twisted:

Arsenal 1991 wrote:Ken Bates spot on for once:

Leeds chairman Bates reacted by branding FIFA 'a waste of space'. Bates told Yorkshire Radio: 'I'm of the opinion that the big European nations should resign from FIFA and start their own organisation.

'If they (FIFA) didn't have Spain, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom there wouldn't be a FIFA. There wouldn't be a UEFA for that matter.
'The only way to deal with FIFA is to withdraw from it and let them get on with it.
'FIFA are a two-bob organisation above any law and should be treated with the contempt they deserve.
'It's a case of the tail wagging the dog. We have little Jack Warner standing in the corner, Oceania, the Caribbean, and the oil states. All that happens is they keep giving the votes to Blatter so he stays there in power.

'The fact of the matter is we (England) have the best stadiums and the best infrastructure. If you think of the disaster of the Champions League final in Moscow a couple of years ago when people were being billeted 100 miles away it's a joke.
'And as for Qatar - I always think someone is clearing their throat when they say that. How are they going to develop football? Australia, who have all the stadia and put a tremendous Olympics on, would have put on a great show.
'FIFA is a waste of space. It's a money making organisation and I don't think they give a damn about football.'
Asked if each individual footballing nation should have a seperate vote, rather than FIFA's executive committee, Bates added: 'Should the Bahamas have the same vote as England? Should Andorra have the same as Germany? No, it's rubbish, we should form an elite association of countries.'

I find it amazing that these have popped up now that england havent won the bid, dont think they'd have the same opinion if they won, theyd be happy to go along with their courruption.......hypocrisy.

skipper

Post by skipper »

Ken Bates spot on for once:

And what did they say about English being arrogant and ignorant...insulting Qatar and omitting fact that it was final vote between Qatar and USA, all in one breath

@northernbankern

I find this shameless hypocrisy quite amusing :blah: :oops:

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

skipper wrote:Ken Bates spot on for once:

And what did they say about English being arrogant and ignorant...insulting Qatar and omitting fact that it was final vote between Qatar and USA, all in one breath

@northernbankern

Yeah lets lie down and accept blatant corruption at the top of the world game just so we dont seem arrogant :roll:

Really, i would rather be seen as arrogant then have to pander to these *word censored*. We were clearly the best choice:

-A west european world cup makes sense after the experiments in south africa
-Best stadia or at least as good as spain
-logistically simple, small island
-Would have made a fuck load of profit and plenty extra for those greedy *word censored* at fifa
-Havent had the world cup before or since 1966.

Oh and how about this one:

AN ACTUAL FUCKING FOOTBALL CULTURE

Not a fucking footnote in the middle east that is just made up of slave labour anyway and a racist sesspit thats a logistical nightmare that rarely gets crowds above 12,000.

The further these *word censored* move football away from its actual fans the more im losing interest in it.

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

northbankbren wrote:
MM99 wrote:Never thought i'd say this, but fair play to the FA and all involved with them. They have refused to be all diplomatic about the outrageous behaviour of the FIFA ExCo members and are saying what we are all thinking. It's one thing to have loads of us moaning on forums such as these, but to have high profile members of England's footballing body come out and publically condemn FIFA is another matter. I hope this brings FIFA and their dealings into disrepute and paves the way for more investigations into their corruptness, and who knows, perhaps we might see more countries taking a stand against FIFA and lead to some positive, radical change :twisted:

Arsenal 1991 wrote:Ken Bates spot on for once:

I find it amazing that these have popped up now that england havent won the bid, dont think they'd have the same opinion if they won, theyd be happy to go along with their courruption.......hypocrisy.
I wouldn't have minded had spain/portugal and usa or australia got the world cups.

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

LDB wrote:
skipper wrote:Ken Bates spot on for once:

@northernbankern

Yeah lets lie down and accept blatant corruption at the top of the world game just so we dont seem arrogant :roll:

Really, i would rather be seen as arrogant then have to pander to these c**ts. We were clearly the best choice:

-A west european world cup makes sense after the experiments in south africa
-Best stadia or at least as good as spain
-logistically simple, small island
-Would have made a fuck load of profit and plenty extra for those greedy c**ts at fifa
-Havent had the world cup before or since 1966.

Oh and how about this one:

AN ACTUAL FUCKING FOOTBALL CULTURE

Not a fucking footnote in the middle east that is just made up of slave labour anyway and a racist sesspit thats a logistical nightmare that rarely gets crowds above 12,000.

The further these c**ts move football away from its actual fans the more im losing interest in it.
Yep, we can all see the effect the '94 world cup has had on usa :roll:

gOOner

Post by gOOner »

Deleted by DB10GOONER

Whatever problem you have with Galasso keep it off this forum.