Schalke Away match thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Top Londoner

Re: Schalke Away match thread

Post by Top Londoner »

northbank123 wrote:It's wrong that I now care about LC games more than CL.

Silverware, oh silverware
we'll never win no silverware
from Emirates, to anyware
we'll never win no silverware

Not with the GIC. FACT.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Im with you on this 1 never going to win the CL but now we have great chance of winning the LEAGUE CUP if he just gave a fuck but theres no money in winning it so we dont want it :banghead: :roll:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

mcdowell42 wrote:

Im with you on this 1 never going to win the CL but now we have great chance of winning the LEAGUE CUP if he just gave a fuck but theres no money in winning it so we dont want it :banghead: :roll:
I just want to fucking win something. It may have been a calamity but at least the Reading game was twenty times as exciting as anything in the CL group stage borefest.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

northbank123 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

I just want to fucking win something. It may have been a calamity but at least the Reading game was twenty times as exciting as anything in the CL group stage borefest.
Don't let MK Gould hear you say that - I mean that one highlight in the San Siro 9 years ago means that we just can't do without the three month thrill a minute CL Group stage. Hopefully we'll get Olympiacos next year and maybe some real big guns like Thun or Braga. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Don't let MK Gould hear you say that - I mean that one highlight in the San Siro 9 years ago means that we just can't do without the three month thrill a minute CL Group stage. Hopefully we'll get Olympiacos next year and maybe some real big guns like Thun or Braga. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Difference was we were capable of winning the thing back then. Well we should have been anyway, that Chelsea game still makes me feel sick. We bottled it.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Steve0. When we got to that final, we beat the best on show mate.
I, like you, would want to win the CL by beating the best along the way.
Bring on Barca.

Oh, hang on. Did they also qualify for the Europa cup?

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

It's a good chance for us to really cement our usual 'second place in the group stages' position.That way, we can be sure of drawing Real Madrid or Barcelona in the second round and going out in a spineless and pathetic fashion. Why bother going any further?

3-0 to Schalke and yet more non-pressure on Wenger.
Last edited by Perryashburtongroves on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Top Londoner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Steve0. When we got to that final, we beat the best on show mate.
I, like you, would want to win the CL by beating the best along the way.
Bring on Barca.

Oh, hang on. Did they also qualify for the Europa cup?
When we got to that final the Group stage was still fucking boring - the games that got everyone excited were in the knockout stage in Madrid, Villareal etc. I'm not saying I hate the competition but this 3 month stretch out of a seeded group stage is just long winded, stale and boring. Look at the number of empty spaces in the ground for these games....I'm not alone in thinking it. Its the same at Old Trafford and most other big grounds. Lose to Schalke and you've got five other opportunities to scrape through in second place - just boring, boring, boring. People enjoy the thrill of knockout football. The second leg of the Milan game was exciting last year because it was a two legged effort with knockout at stake.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

SteveO 35 wrote:Don't let MK Gould hear you say that - I mean that one highlight in the San Siro 9 years ago means that we just can't do without the three month thrill a minute CL Group stage. Hopefully we'll get Olympiacos next year and maybe some real big guns like Thun or Braga. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
The atmosphere for the home game against Schalke was woeful and CL Group Games are the only home games that don't sell out.... In truth, I'd much prefer if the whole competition were knock out, like the European Cup back in the day.

But I really enjoyed the trip to Marseille last season and looking forward to going to Schalke on Tuesday. Can't honestly say that I'm looking forward to Bradford more though..... As with the European Championship and World Cup, odd games apart, the competition doesn't really start in earnest until it goes to knock out.... That said, if we lose on Tuesday then the games against Montpellier and Olympiacos start to look like just that....!

skipper

Post by skipper »

Easy win for Schalke.

Mood1987

Post by Mood1987 »

Anyone driving that we can hitch a lift back to bremen with?

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Serious question.... Is Remembrance Day observed in Germany? Minutes silence before the match? Wonder also what the German view is on anyone wearing poppies?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

MK Gould wrote:Serious question.... Is Remembrance Day observed in Germany? Minutes silence before the match? Wonder also what the German view is on anyone wearing poppies?
Nope, it's a Commonwealth thing. They don't acknowledge the anniversary of the Armistice, they have a different day. I'm sure you're not going to get your head kicked in for wearing a poppy.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

MK Gould wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:Don't let MK Gould hear you say that - I mean that one highlight in the San Siro 9 years ago means that we just can't do without the three month thrill a minute CL Group stage. Hopefully we'll get Olympiacos next year and maybe some real big guns like Thun or Braga. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
The atmosphere for the home game against Schalke was woeful and CL Group Games are the only home games that don't sell out.... In truth, I'd much prefer if the whole competition were knock out, like the European Cup back in the day.

But I really enjoyed the trip to Marseille last season and looking forward to going to Schalke on Tuesday. Can't honestly say that I'm looking forward to Bradford more though..... As with the European Championship and World Cup, odd games apart, the competition doesn't really start in earnest until it goes to knock out.... That said, if we lose on Tuesday then the games against Montpellier and Olympiacos start to look like just that....!
It would undoubtedly make the competition more exciting if we went back to the days when it was a straight two legged knockout from the start. I also think the seeding should be knocked on the head otherwise there will still be too many dead rubbers e.g. Barcelona winning an away leg 4-0 against some poor Scandinavians before having to go through the whole sorry process again in a meaningless home leg.

Imagine the excitement of an open draw where Real could meet Barcelona in Round 1. Even the drawing of the teams would be exciting rather than this Group A, Team 1 bollocks we get now.

Of course UEFA will never allow it to happen because they want to ensure the easiest route possible to Barca, ManUre, Real and AC Milan to the quarter finals when the competition finally becomes interesting again

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

northbank123 wrote:
MK Gould wrote:Serious question.... Is Remembrance Day observed in Germany? Minutes silence before the match? Wonder also what the German view is on anyone wearing poppies?
Nope, it's a Commonwealth thing. They don't acknowledge the anniversary of the Armistice, they have a different day. I'm sure you're not going to get your head kicked in for wearing a poppy.
I may wear a poppy.... Probably won't put one on the front of the car though, even though it is German :shock: !