Sunderland vs. Arsenal (14th September)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
safcftm

Re: Sunderland vs. Arsenal (14th September)

Post by safcftm »

augie wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:If we don't win this easily, we're in for a long hard season.
The manager's a cross between Mussolini and Frank Spencer, he's brought in 46 new players (most of whom nobody has heard of), he's pissed off last year's squad and the BBC has reported that in a 'secret', behind closed doors match the senior side lost to the under-21s (the fact that it was leaked has further upset poor Paolo). Plus, they've looked complete shite this year.
I suspect 0-0.

People slate the guy for getting shot of a load of last season's squad but I dont see that as a bad thing - why should unperforming shite be allowed to remain on easy street whilst the club continues to fight relegation year after year ? When you look at how bardsley behaved with the arrogant attitude to money then it doesnt reflect well on the players/squad. Bear in mind that this is the same bardsley that was bombed out of manure a few years ago cos he wasnt good enough and now he feels justified in behaving like a total cock when the reality is that he is an average joe that wouldnt stand out in the championship :roll:
In every team/club the players have to be motivated to succeed and it seems to me that too many players wanted to do the bare minimum just to survive and there is no way di canio will tolerate that - the guy has shaken a few players and indeed the club itself from it's self induced slumber and no doubt many of the players he inherited wont lie that and will try to cause trouble (like leaking stories to the media). I am not saying that he will succeed or wont succeed but I am saying that if you dont strive to improve then what is the point ?
I agree with that although its more of a worry when he brings in loads of players and most of them don't get a look in. Despite 13 or so signings, 8 of the 11 that played at Palace were last years shite. Normally Westwood, O'Shea, Colback, Johnson, Larsson or Gardner and Fletcher will be in there with only Diakite, Giaccherini, Celustka, Ki and Altidore of the new signings starting (Cabral was meant to be a starter but he's already randomly been frozen out).

So whilst he's brought a lot in its pretty much filler - we've lost 3 of our best 4 players from last season (Rose back to Spurs, Mignolet and Sessegnon sold, only Fletcher is still here) and, Giaccherini aside, we haven't really bought in the quality to replace them (hopeful that Altidore will make it like but he's a risk).

Selling your best players (or having them go back after loan spells) and not replacing them with proven quality will generally only take you one way, especially when you were 17th last season. I just hope the club knows what its doing. If we can survive then we can shift some of the overpaid players that we currently cant get rid of (Vaughan, Bardsley, Larsson top of the list). Looks like we have a ridiculous wage bill and, until thats reduced, we've got our hands tied a bit. So a lot of new players but not much change to the first team and not much quality, you'll walk through us imo

augie

Post by augie »

Have seen ki play a bit and think that he is a good ball player in the middle of the park 8)

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

augie wrote:Have seen ki play a bit and think that he is a good ball player in the middle of the park 8)
Yeah he seems decent. I'm a bit worried that we're now signing players who haven't managed to make it at Swansea like (although thankfully Ki can't be any worse than Danny Graham) but I suppose its just a sign of how badly we've managed to run a football club in the last few years (thanks Bruce and O'Neill!). Ki does seem decent though, looks like he's just fallen out with the manager (Ki probably just reminded him that Bendtner is Denmark's best ever player, the truth hurts him) so fingers crossed he'll be okay. We're going to have a shit, boring season anyway mind, if we don't get relegated we'll end up about 15th, can't say I'm overly excited by this!

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

augie wrote:
The manager's a cross between Mussolini and Frank Spencer, he's brought in 46 new players (most of whom nobody has heard of), he's pissed off last year's squad and the BBC has reported that in a 'secret', behind closed doors match the senior side lost to the under-21s (the fact that it was leaked has further upset poor Paolo). Plus, they've looked complete shite this year.
I suspect 0-0.

People slate the guy for getting shot of a load of last season's squad but I dont see that as a bad thing - why should unperforming shite be allowed to remain on easy street whilst the club continues to fight relegation year after year ? When you look at how bardsley behaved with the arrogant attitude to money then it doesnt reflect well on the players/squad. Bear in mind that this is the same bardsley that was bombed out of manure a few years ago cos he wasnt good enough and now he feels justified in behaving like a total cock when the reality is that he is an average joe that wouldnt stand out in the championship :roll:
In every team/club the players have to be motivated to succeed and it seems to me that too many players wanted to do the bare minimum just to survive and there is no way di canio will tolerate that - the guy has shaken a few players and indeed the club itself from it's self induced slumber and no doubt many of the players he inherited wont lie that and will try to cause trouble (like leaking stories to the media). I am not saying that he will succeed or wont succeed but I am saying that if you dont strive to improve then what is the point ?
I don't disagree that last year's squad was poor, but when you manage to create divisions between those players and the new ones it's going to cause further problems and Sunderland doesn't sound like a happy camp at the moment.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Joe, we are in for one of those either way, mate. Arsene failed miserably in this transfer window. Yeah I know Ozil is world class (and Flamoney may well deliver) but one Marquee signing does not hide the fact that we need a top keeper, CH, DM and a striker that will deliver 20+ goals in the PL and I'd add a LB that can cross a ball because Gibbs is the worst crosser of a ball in the history of football. Once the awe of the Ozil signing has worn off a bit we will revert to the same old shit as last year and the year before and the year before and...

We will be scrapping for 4th again this year. :|

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I don't disagree with anything you say. I think Man U may find this season difficult, but the Victims and the Scum have strengthened and, with the squad we've been left with, we'll do well to retain our 4th place trophy. My point was that I think this Sunderland team at the minute is in disarray and that if we can't walk away with a comfortable three points then, imo, this season could be one where 4th place seems like an unattainable dream.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Joe, we are in for one of those either way, mate. Arsene failed miserably in this transfer window. Yeah I know Ozil is world class (and Flamoney may well deliver) but one Marquee signing does not hide the fact that we need a top keeper, CH, DM and a striker that will deliver 20+ goals in the PL and I'd add a LB that can cross a ball because Gibbs is the worst crosser of a ball in the history of football. Once the awe of the Ozil signing has worn off a bit we will revert to the same old shit as last year and the year before and the year before and...

I think you might be over estimating the quality of a lot of this league to be honest. With the side Arsenal have got I think 4th will be quite comfortably achieved, you might even get 3rd. Certainly won't be winning the title like, as you say you're a few improvements away from that level (and you'd need more depth to the squad I'd imagine) but the side you've got now should be easily enough to beat the vast majority of sides and finish in the top 4 - even without a great defensive midfielder that midfield you've got is frightening. Now that one marquee signing has arrived you never know, a few more might follow. Wouldn't surprise me to see you challenging for the title in the next 3-4 seasons to be honest.

defleppardisking

Post by defleppardisking »

augie wrote:Have seen ki play a bit and think that he is a good ball player in the middle of the park 8)
I know more about Ki's wife than i know what kind of player Ki is.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I suspect 0-0.
Di Canio is a fucking prima donna, an ego bigger than Mourinho, but without the credentials to back it up. I really hope we give them a good fucking tanking. Maybe they'll get a player sent off, then he can be di canios patsy.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Surely....surely....surely.....a win and an Ozil goal will lead to the first chorus of my favourite manager worshipping song this season ???

Post by 1989 »

Di Canio's a breath of fresh air tbh, loved the way he crucified that fairy Ji in the post match interview the other week for ducking out of a header in front of goal.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

safcftm wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I think you might be over estimating the quality of a lot of this league to be honest. With the side Arsenal have got I think 4th will be quite comfortably achieved, you might even get 3rd. Certainly won't be winning the title like, as you say you're a few improvements away from that level (and you'd need more depth to the squad I'd imagine) but the side you've got now should be easily enough to beat the vast majority of sides and finish in the top 4 - even without a great defensive midfielder that midfield you've got is frightening. Now that one marquee signing has arrived you never know, a few more might follow. Wouldn't surprise me to see you challenging for the title in the next 3-4 seasons to be honest.
Always nice to hear from a mackem, I wont be going to the SOL this season but I have done on many occasions in the past and I never had any grief from the sunderland fans, unlike in newcastle where you are diceing with death wearing colours.

This used to be a grudge match as my ex wife was a mackem, and I always used to stay in grangetown on the weekend of the match. The two matches we lost, I took loads of grief from the locals but it was all good banter and all smiles.

When I met my ex wife, she was slim pretty and fun to be with, now she's a fat heffer and miserable! Is that what being married to a gooner does to you !

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Always nice to hear from a mackem, I wont be going to the SOL this season but I have done on many occasions in the past and I never had any grief from the sunderland fans, unlike in newcastle where you are diceing with death wearing colours.

This used to be a grudge match as my ex wife was a mackem, and I always used to stay in grangetown on the weekend of the match. The two matches we lost, I took loads of grief from the locals but it was all good banter and all smiles.

When I met my ex wife, she was slim pretty and fun to be with, now she's a fat heffer and miserable! Is that what being married to a gooner does to you !
Got some pictures mate?

:wink:

Leedsgooner1

Post by Leedsgooner1 »

Where are people having a pre match beer tomorrow, am arriving in Sunderland around midday so have plenty of time to kill :barscarf:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

nut flush gooner wrote: Always nice to hear from a mackem, I wont be going to the SOL this season but I have done on many occasions in the past and I never had any grief from the sunderland fans, unlike in newcastle where you are diceing with death wearing colours.

Grangetown eh? My gran lives there (Stratford Avenue), small world! Yeah, it often crops up on our forum that for some reason Arsenal and Sunderland seem to get on, goes back at least as far as May 1991 when you pretty much won the league at Roker and the fans got on well (our lot shouting "champions" at the Arsenal fans etc) then there was the bear's funeral where apparently a lot of Sunderland paid their respects, there has been reports of both sets of fans fighting off the spurs lot ages ago (certainly we had trips to Tottenham which resulted in battles on a regular basis, which is part of the reason why a lot of our fans hate Spurs). Away from the hooliganism etc I think its just a case that both sets of fans tend (with exceptions of course) not to be arseholes. There was a thread on the sunderland forum ages ago that mentions a fair bit of it http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/su ... ns.671125/

In my experience I've always enjoyed trips to Arsenal and the gooners I've spoken to have always enjoyed trips to Sunderland, they can go drinking all over the town centre in colours and never get a bit of bother. Its a shame that Arsenal has so many home fan only pubs (Sunderland don't have any) but then I've got me Arsenal membership card so easily get in and the gooners are always a good laugh even when they know you're a sneaky mackem, especially when you tell them that you've randomly been away to Milan, Roma and Barcelona following the Arsenal and going home with a sore throat! Both sets of fans tend to be the types that aren't arseholes and don't go looking to cause trouble, if you want trouble with Arsenal or Sunderland fans you find it very quickly, neither set of fans are soft, but if you just want a good day out you have a cracking time.
Leedsgooner1 wrote:Where are people having a pre match beer tomorrow, am arriving in Sunderland around midday so have plenty of time to kill :barscarf:
Unfortunately most of the gooners will probably go to Newcastle pre match. If you're in Sunderland many will go into the town centre, there's the Lambton Worm (Wetherspoons) and no doubt plenty Arsenal will go there, theres a place called the Corner Flag nearby which some gooners went in last time (attracted by a couple of Arsenal pictures on the wall!), for a livelier time some will no doubt end up in Passion on stage with the strippers doing drinking games. Plenty places to go and the Arsenal that go to Sunderland will probably end up all over. Nearer the ground there's the Wheatsheaf, need to be slightly more careful there (its as near as we get to a home pub) but again with it being Arsenal you could go there in colours and it'd be no bother. Hope you enjoy the trip. I'll be with me best mate (wibble off here, who is an Arsenal fan) and a load of Sunderland lads, not sure where we're heading yet but I might post on here on the morning of the game in case any gooners are about and want a few pints