Is 4th the new 1st?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Galasso

Post by Galasso »

gus ceasar is a legend wrote:I really dont care about the name or how much they cost! They can be Dick Van Dogshit signed from The Rose and Crown Hackney for all I care!

What I do care about is that we get in talent that is worthy of gracing our club and taking us forward! Yes a devastating team would be fantastic but that doesnt mean you cannot have brilliant individual talent too! Its a blend!

No clubs were not chomping at the bit to have Thierry when we had him from Juventus but neither was Denis Bergkamp hot property when we landed him! Did you ever doubt that Denis would do the business and dont tell me that signing wasnt a huge buzz!

Thats what we need right now! the player who not only has the talent but the aura to give the place a lift!
DVD and RVP up front - total dutch football methinks! :lol: :lol:

I agree, it is a blend, something I have alluded to elsewhere. Arsene Wenger has never been afraid to spend where neccessary to complement the team. It's just at the moment things are different. And the last 2 years haven't been that bad, Euro Cup Final, and neither is the current batch of players. Its just that our cycle of players all ended in the same 2 year period and it is difficult to have players ready to just take over and challenge for championships, unless you have income like Man Utd or Chelsea. Which we have not.

I was excited by Bergkamp signing, but did say that I don't get excited now because after 10 years of Arsene Wenger....It has taught me something. Bergkamp signing, pre-Wenger, was magnificent because god did we need it, and those times were different. I'm not saying that people should not get excited, just during the last 10 years things have changed for me.

And if we do sign someone, it should be for the good of the team. Would love another Dennis now, becasue as you said, I would now that eventually he would do the business. Not because of his name. I will be getting my buzz from Cesc, RVP and Diaby among others next season. (that sounds a bit TOO personal!!)

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

The last few years have not been so bad at all your right!

I just see us at a watershed now.

I guess I just want some positive news! Maybe Im envious of the buzz other supporters like Barca's have had with the signing of Yaya Toure and some other player whose name escapes me.

I just dont want us to be content with 4th palce and the like of Martins signing for us.

New here and dont wanna come across as a moaning so n so but finding it all frustrating!

Back in a bit after Ive lightened myself up by throwing darts at Piehead Jol's picture and laughing at video's of Robbie Keane's 4 year old gymnastics!

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Back in a bit after Ive lightened myself up by throwing darts at Piehead Jol's picture and laughing at video's of Robbie Keane's 4 year old gymnastics
Have fun - Jols a *word censored* so aim for the *word censored*.

I think moaning is a pre-requisite of being fan! And no-one wants thinks that coming 4th is some sort of achievement, just that are trying to explore reasons why this is the case now, what we can do now, and what the short/lomg term future holds.

If we can bring some top, top quality in then I will be happy, knowing that it more likely than not will tick all the boxes that the Boss thinks we need. Nobody knows if he can do what he thinks we really need or whether he knows that we can't because of the stadium move.

Whatever, just remember - Jol's a *word censored*.

gus ceasar is a legend

Excellent! I didnt know the C word was allowed here!

In celebration of this I will confirm that Jol is a big pie faced *word censored*!

If you had told me all this when I joined a week ago I wouldnt have spent it beating the wife in frustration!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gus ceasar is a legend wrote:
I just see us at a watershed now.
I'm with you there Gus. Remember summer 1997? :? Wenger brought in a few unknowns and Overmars & Petit were nestled into midfield with PV4 and a certain young Nicolas Le Whinge was added up front to Wrighty & DB10. Arsene basically built a new team (apart from the back 4 {5?}) and few people gave us much hope. I was worried going into that season that we'd be mid table at best. :?

But the team rose to the occassion. BIG TIME. :lol: 8)

This current squad is full of inexperienced quality, but QUALITY none the less. We just need two or three experienced world class signings to lead the kids and teach them in training. We are so close to building another great side right now, but it is VERY dependant on those new signings being the right ones.

I think TH14 (class and all that he was at his peak) held the kids back over the last year or two because they were so in awe (and fear?) of him. I think history will prove that Wenger let Henry go at exactly the right time, considering his negative influence and his Sciatica and groin problems. :shock:

I deffo think it is a real watershed moment in our history.

gus ceasar is a legend

Good point DB10!

I think Thierry leaving and the manner in which he has left has cast a negative cloud over the club despite the fanatastic talent that remains!

What I want now is someone to believe in becoming another Arsenal legend! Yes Cesc is that already but Im greedy and I want another legend to play with and to compliment Cesc! Not a stop gap signing thats so off Cesc's football wavelength!

Lets show everyone we aint in crisis and this is a new start bringing new heroes!

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

You are all spot on! But a word of calm from someone in the Arsenal camp or at least a signing would put all the doubt and uncertainty to rest!!!!

Speak to us oh mighty Ashburton oracle.....

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

gus ceasar is a legend wrote: Did you ever doubt that Denis would do the business and dont tell me that signing wasnt a huge buzz!
Massive buzz as was signing Platt.

Although I remember getting excited about signing Kiwomya and Hartson!

gus ceasar is a legend

I must admit that I thought at the time Hartson was the bollocks!

Why I felt that wat about a balding ginger welshman I will never know!

I do still remember tba cracker he scored against Man City tho!

But anyhow this is my point exactly! We dont want to be happy with that kind of player again surely!

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

Dick Van Dogshit ! Now there was a great player if ever I saw one :D

Chunky The Gooner

On a much more serious note now!

I have supported Arsenal for 37 years . My dad his dad blah blah blah were all gooners. When I was one we won the double. When I was at school the most successful team was Liverpool who won the lot. I used to get stick from Liverpool supporting kids even though I live in Hackney !
In 1978 we got to the FA Cup Final where we should have beaten Ipswich but even as an 8 year old I still realised we didnt perform that day ! So I never got my first trophy that I could actually remember. A year later we return to wembley against Man Utd and after going 2 goals up we conceded 2 late goals to leave me thinking "not again" then Chippy went on a run played in Rixy to float the cross over to Sunderland and I got my trophy after 8 years of fuck all although I should have spotted a sign when Frank Stapleton had the Man Utd shirt on at the end !! I was in the London hospital , Whitechapel in 1980 so you can imagine how fucked off I was at losing to West Ham that year!
Thats most of the history lesson and autobiography over now but basically a lot of us were brought up on the Terry Neill years where we werent the best lets be honest , We had some good players but it didnt always work. When we got George Graham as manager we didnt always play pretty but we did get the results and I couldnt see us getting stuffed many times thanks to the " hands up " marshalled defence
I was at the Lane in 1987 for the littlewoods cup semi final replay when we were 1-0 down and was thinking this is the last place I ever want to get knocked out of a cup in (yes even though it was only the littlewoods cup!)
and Ian Allinson (look it up kids!) and oh ROCKY ROCKY , ROCKY ROCKY ROCKY ROCKY ROCASTLE Came up with the goods to send me home , Well get me chased home happy ! Whenever I look at that match when we got the winner the cameras zoom in on the Arsenal fans behind the goal , faces all crushed together in the crowd and there was me and my mate, faces squeezed against the fence !
I was at Wembely when we won the final against Liverpool who never lost when Ian Rush scored but they did this time thanks to a Charlie Nicholas double . I saw us lose a final the year later to Luton in the Gus Ceaser final and why Nigel Winterburn took the fucking penalty to this day I never know !
Fast forward to Bruce Rioch and say what you want about him but he signed Berkamp and we will always thank him for that. Arsene came in and did the double in his first full season and since then we have had some awesome players playing some awesome football which we have never seen before.
We all want the best for Arsenal and if its because of the cost of the new stadium or because of Roman's money that we are not doing perfoming we just have to get through this. I know its not the best time for the club at the moment and to be honest a lot of the younger fans have been spoilt in a way because they were supporting the club at a time when it was playing superb football and getting trophies. The fans who have been around before me will have seen this "dip" all before and hopefully we will come out of it a lot stronger.
I just wished the club would communicate a lot more with the fans. The day Henry was off their website was talking about Gunners Golden Games and player of the season ! We shouldn't be reading the Sky Sports websites to find out what you should be telling us
If any of you are still awake then thank you for sticking 'til the end !

gus ceasar is a legend

Chunky you have the exact same memories as me and went to the same games.............

Are we related?

Chunky The Gooner

Gus

Who knows ? I lived in Chigley ! Lol All I remember being told by my dad when I was a mini Gooner was "Arsenal never do things the easy way" and " at times they will breaking your fucking heart " and over the years that has proved to be spot on !
As much as we dislike what is going on at the club at the moment when we look back to them early years (1972-86) when we won 1 trophy in 14 years I know (fingers crossed ! ) they wont be coming back again because hopefully we wont allow it. There are too many of us who care far too much about Arsenal to let it happen.

gus ceasar is a legend

Spot on!

Though my faith will be tested the day we have to sign a player with money won fro a coca cola competition!

stats

Post by stats »

Sadly since the 2004/05 season we haven't finished in our old spot in 2nd when we were playing the best football for a couple of seasons
As long as Spurs don't start finishing either above us or winning anything plus going in the champions league we'll b ok
We match on cos we're the Arsenal